What to do with really old software and stuff?

I have a ton of old classic Mac software and bits of hardware that I need to clear out of here. But, is tossing it into a landfill really the only way?

I have a semi-large collection of classic Mac apps and games that I need to get out of here. We're talking mostly OS 8 software (plus a few OS 7 things) including Adobe apps on floppies (with SN) and cool games (Zoombinis!) Most everything includes manuals, too.

Hardware includes a great Umax flatbed scanner (SCSI) and, possibly, a PowerComputing PowerCenter 100 (if I can figure how to ship the monitor.)

I was arranging a deal with a non MeFite who has a classic Mac collection, but she's dropped off the face of the earth and hasn't responded to nudges in ages, so I fear that option is dead. Sadly, there's no place around here that would take it all as a donation.

I'm simply looking for someone to spring for shipping for everything.

Anyone know of anyplace that takes this stuff? Or, is it all doomed to a landfill? :(
posted by Thorzdad to Technology (14 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

There are only so many collectors who would be interested (try Craigslist?), but don't landfill the hardware. Your states (and mine, and probably most) has an electronics recycling program.
posted by beagle at 10:26 AM on January 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Could you reach out to a school or university to see if they could use it for their library?
posted by youknowwhatpart at 10:26 AM on January 19, 2017

Any reason you can't take it to a local thrift store? I'm sure some people who would appreciate the stuff would wander in and snap it up PDQ.
posted by prize bull octorok at 10:26 AM on January 19, 2017 [3 favorites]

Jason Scott at archive.org will probably take it happily!
posted by wenestvedt at 10:26 AM on January 19, 2017 [3 favorites]

Post it on 68kmla.org and someone will probably take it off your hands for shipping.
posted by fimbulvetr at 10:26 AM on January 19, 2017 [3 favorites]

(That site is for Classic Mac addicts -- they hate to see this stuff landfilled or recycled)
posted by fimbulvetr at 10:28 AM on January 19, 2017

Jason Scott: Yes, I Want Your Goddamn AOL CDs
I also want all the CD-ROMs made by Walnut Creek CD-ROM. I want every shovelware disc that came out in the entire breadth of the CD-ROM era. I want every shareware floppy, while we’re talking. I want it all.

The CD-ROM era is basically finite at this point. It’s over. The time when we’re going to use physical media as the primary transport for most data is done done done. Sure, there’s going to be distributions and use of CD-ROMs for some time to come, but the time when it all came that way and when it was in most cases the only method of distribution… in the history books, now.

And there were a specific amount of CD-ROMs made. There are directories and listings of many that were manufactured. I want to find those. I want to image them, and I want to put them up.

I’m looking for stacks of CD-ROMs now. Stacks and stacks. AOL CDs and driver CDs and Shareware CDs and even hand-burned CDs of stuff you downloaded way back when. This is the time to strike.
posted by Rhaomi at 10:34 AM on January 19, 2017 [12 favorites]

Surprised no one's mentioned the obvious solution - a place where you can present items of very narrow interest to a vast audience likely including those who'd be interested: eBay.

I wouldn't auction (because you want the items to remain on offer for a long while). Just price high enough to cover your postage and handling. You can start out trying to sell as bundles, but I figure you'd have much better luck offering each piece individually. Don't allow returns (or they'll just copy and send back).
posted by Quisp Lover at 10:54 AM on January 19, 2017 [3 favorites]

Hey I'm going to Memail you, I have a friend in Nashville whose recording studio still uses system 7 and OS9 and could likely use your hardware. He's been putting out calls on Facebook looking for old Mac stuff.
posted by annathea at 11:33 AM on January 19, 2017

If none of those options work out, CDs, DVDs, and floppies can be recycled. There might even be a center near you. Don't landfill it!

Hardware can always go to a Best Buy, they'll take basically anything. A few things you need to pay for, but not many (mostly screens).
posted by clone boulevard at 1:30 PM on January 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

There's a 'Swap' area for the RetroMacCast site (Disclaimer: I knew but lost touch with one of the founders- but he was a terrific guy back in the day)
posted by JulesER at 4:52 PM on January 19, 2017

Two places that would probably love this stuff, or at least give you some good advice about where to put it: 68kmla and the VintageApple subreddit.
posted by Polycarp at 5:25 PM on January 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Don't bother with a university. You wouldn't believe how much old computer crap accumulates at a big school.
posted by spitbull at 5:38 PM on January 19, 2017 [2 favorites]

A fellow at 68kMLA took it all off my hands.
posted by Thorzdad at 9:05 AM on September 13, 2017

« Older 10 decades in the cult of Mac, how do we leave   |   Top 5 romantic things to do in Stockholm and... Newer »