Concussion-free play spaces in for babies in Brooklyn

Brooklyn parents: I'm looking for a baby-friendly play space/jungle gym, preferably in central Brooklyn off the B/Q trains. I'm imagining foam objects, a soft floor, a tiny slide, etc. Help!

I have a very active almost 8 month-old who loves standing and crawling all around the apartment (and all over me), but she's still too little to brave most legit playground equipment. Does anyone know of any BK play spaces (ideally in the Ditmas Park/Kensington/Windsor Terrace vicinity, or Park Slope if we must) that have a baby-friendly jungle gym set-up? I'm aiming for padded floors or at least a good carpet to minimize head-bonking. We need something drop-in and open play; we're not looking for classes at the moment.

We're willing to tackle a short subway ride for particularly fun and/or affordable options, but NOT Williamsburg/Greenpoint/DUMBO.

posted by Hwaet to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I am familiar with this need, especially in crummy winter weather. I don’t know of a drop-in jungle gym in those neighborhoods but here are a few soft-floored kid-friendly places that sometimes have toys & activities & such:

Lark Cafe (Church Avenue just east of Coney Island Ave.) has a side room with soft floor & open space; I’ve definitely seen toddlers let loose in there but that was a while ago; check to see if there’s more programming now.

Windsor Terrace Library (Fort Hamilton Parkway & East 5th). There’s a room with foam floor & such that I think is just open for their storytimes, etc. The main kid area is often full of toddlers.

A bit further afield, and not free: The “Discovery Center” room at the Prospect Park Zoo is pretty great. Do check to make sure it’s not one of their scheduled birthday party times, though, as then it’s closed to the public.
posted by miles per flower at 9:37 AM on January 13, 2017

Mommy Poppins just posted an updated list of drop-in spaces in Brooklyn. You may have to visit the individual websites to see if they have mats on the floors in the toddler areas.
posted by xo at 3:28 PM on January 13, 2017

« Older it puts the tape measure in it's home...   |   UK citizen changing name abroad Newer »