Looking for an 80's cartoon with a robot saying "Joan"

Ok, this one has had me searching for years, and no one knows it. A robot going, "joan... joan..."

It's a cartoon I watched in the 80's, i think i had it on videotape. It was something like Johnny Quest, in that it was a group of adventurers, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually JQ.

The only part i remember is the last part of the tape, and I always wanted to finish the story. The team is in some underwater lab of some kind, and there's a breach - the lab starts flooding. They're all trying to escape, it's terrible. Then, the humanoid robot who i think was part of the group, washes up alone on shore and starts calling out for one of the other members - he's going, "joan.... joan... j-oan.... j-oan..."

That's all I got. I'll try to add a sound bite of me doing the "joan" part.

Anyone remember what this show was, and if it's available online?

thanks!
posted by mcascone to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There was an underwater adventure cartoon in the 70s called Sealab. I don't specifically recall the incident you describe, but the setting sounds like it might be a match.

Adult Swim (I think) aired a parody of it called Sealab 2020 (I think) which might make it harder to track down using search.
posted by under_petticoat_rule at 12:50 PM on January 10, 2017

Sealab 2020 was the 70's original, Sealab 2021 was the Adult Swim parody.
posted by GuyZero at 1:36 PM on January 10, 2017

Sealab 2020 is the original, but it doesn't have any main cast named Joan. The episode list is pretty short, though, so you can see if anything strikes a chord.

The parody was Sealab 2021.
posted by He Is Only The Imposter at 1:36 PM on January 10, 2017

A complete list of obscure 80's cartoons. - maybe one triggers a memory?
posted by GuyZero at 2:15 PM on January 10, 2017 [1 favorite]

Doing a little research, I found a British series called "UFO" from 1970 that has a character named Joan, and the reason I think it's a possibility is that it's by Gerry Anderson of Thunderbirds fame, so a humanoid robot is not beyond the realm. There were also aliens, which could possibly be replaced with a robot in your dusty memory.
posted by rhizome at 9:09 PM on January 10, 2017

« Older Basic gentile etiquette   |   Listening to pandora stations while remaining on... Newer »