Foot specialist in PNW
January 8, 2017 1:50 PM   Subscribe

I have a foot problem that has so far stumped four foot specialists. The leading theory at this point is degeneration of the cartilage of the big toe joint, as my MRI shows a chunk of missing cartilage there. This has been going on for a year now and I need to get serious about fixing it. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the PNW, but Seattle is easiest, and am interested in exploring the possibility of treating it with stem cell/PRP. Where should I go?
posted by HotToddy to Health & Fitness (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
If you're looking to regrow cartilage, stem cells are what you want, not PRP. But you don't just want an injection, you need someone to go in there and make micro perforations into the cartilage and apply the stem cells in a way that they will be in contact with the cartilage. Marrow can be harvested from the tibia, which will allow a podiatrist to do the procedure, but if it were me, I'd look for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle. If you do decide to go the stem cell route, please ask the surgeon what system s/he uses and then research for yourself the kinds of cell counts that system provides/isolates. Some systems are are almost no better than a good marrow draw and not what you're really going for. I'd also avoid the extra cost of 'cell culturing'. I don't know anyone in the PNW or I'd give you a name, sorry, but if you have questions MeMail me.
posted by PorcineWithMe at 2:35 PM on January 8, 2017

I don't know if they're amenable to the specific treatment you had in mind, but when I had back trouble, Dr Pearl Ren at the Polyclinic was excellent and had a very holistic approach. It might be worth a consult.
posted by Cogito at 9:45 AM on January 9, 2017

« Older What can I do with a Baofeng UV-82 ham radio?   |   Middle-aged Online Dating -- Any Specific Tips? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.