Tree ID Florida Edition

What kind of tree is this with long threads/vines coming out of the branches? What are those threads?

See image

The other weekend I was ambling about at Sawgrass Lake Park in St. Pete and I came across these trees with thin vines/threads that appear to be coming out of the branches. I have also seen trees like this in Tampa.

Does anyone know what kind of trees these are? And what are those dangly bits? Googling is yielding nothing, but that's expected, since my search is some variation of "thread vine tree node Florida."

I know it's more of an artsy image. I wasn't considering identification when I took the shot.
posted by dearwassily to Science & Nature (10 answers total)

Those look like live oaks with some air rooting plant growing on them. I can't remember the name, but I think some folks called them some sort of wild grape.
posted by advicepig at 11:19 AM on January 6, 2017

Banyan tree?
posted by Squeak Attack at 11:22 AM on January 6, 2017

The dangly bits look like what comes down from a Banyan tree, but the trunks don't look right in the photo.
posted by cooker girl at 11:23 AM on January 6, 2017 [1 favorite]

I suspect those are oak trees infested with lianas, which is a general term for woody stem vines that root in the ground but climb trees to get enough sunlight.

The district that manages that park has tree and environment field guides. (If I had to guess, your photo was taken in a mesic hammock).
posted by jamaro at 11:26 AM on January 6, 2017 [4 favorites]

I like jamaro's vines better than my air rooted bad botany. I still think they are live oaks.
posted by advicepig at 11:32 AM on January 6, 2017

I agree with jamaro - that's an oak tree covered in kudzu, a.k.a. 'wild grape'. The threads are the roots and vines of the kudzu, not something from the tree.
posted by LOLAttorney2009 at 3:20 PM on January 6, 2017

It is an oak. Kudzo tends to like support. Pretty sure the vines are air potatoes which are an invasive species and not edible.
posted by cat_link at 3:41 PM on January 6, 2017

Tampa resident here. That's definitely an oak tree with vines hanging off it. Certainly not a banyan tree.
posted by gnutron at 4:50 PM on January 6, 2017

Yup, oak and vines. IME kudzu doesn't usually drop those types of thick vines but just sorta crawls all over everything; I think cat_link has it.
posted by aspersioncast at 8:48 AM on January 7, 2017

I don't think it's kudzu as it doesn't usually grow that far south. Could definitely be air potato.
posted by newsomz at 1:22 PM on January 7, 2017

« Older How to support a colleague with a sick cat?   |   Personal Planetarium? Newer »