What band is in this poster?

Internet detectives, can you identify the band that is in this poster? A friend found this in an old jazz record, and he's trying to determine both the band and the album that this poster was associated with. My Google skills were not up to the challenge.
posted by (Arsenio) Hall and (Warren) Oates to Grab Bag (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Serious question: Was there no information printed on the record itself?
Assuming no, you/he could try playing the record and holding it up to a phone or laptop running Shazam to see if the music is in their database.
posted by D.Billy at 8:22 AM on December 29, 2016

I believe that this poster was included in the sleeve of a different band's album.
posted by (Arsenio) Hall and (Warren) Oates at 8:23 AM on December 29, 2016

The band is Heaven 17. Best known for their classic pop hit Temptation
posted by oh pollo! at 8:30 AM on December 29, 2016 [7 favorites]

Thanks, oh pollo! And wow, is that a terrible song.
posted by (Arsenio) Hall and (Warren) Oates at 8:33 AM on December 29, 2016

They are Heaven 17. They have also helped Tina Turner relaunch her career in the early eighties and produced a classy number with Jimmy Ruffin, "Foolish thing to do" .
This blog post associates the picture with their first album, "Penthouse and Pavement".
posted by bluedora at 9:41 AM on December 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

I thought Heaven 17's most popular song was Let Me Go. I must have forgotten about their association with Tina Turner. Heaven 17 was very important and I think Let Me Go still holds up.

Someone will cherish that poster so I hope it gets handled with care and makes it to eBay or similar.
posted by jbenben at 9:48 AM on December 29, 2016 [3 favorites]

They're mentioned in "A Clockwork Orange" 'way back in 1972, didja know.
posted by Rash at 11:36 AM on December 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

The song of theirs I knew was "We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thang." Also "Let Me Go."
posted by persona au gratin at 3:04 AM on December 30, 2016

« Older Four on the floor   |   Netgear Router Exploit Announced; Netgear Router... Newer »