Holiday movie memory

I was thinking holiday thoughts, and a movie memory came to the surface after many years of dormancy. The only thing I remember about this movie was that it was about a black youth who was asked what he wanted for Christmas and he said "I want me this cat I found".

Then I think the cat was killed or something and it was a real tear jerker to a nine year old me. It must have been early to mid 70s, and I think it was "made for TV". This memory is so vague that I'm not even sure it wasn't a dream. I may be conflating this with another movie from the same period, but I seem to remember a scene where a bird was stoned to death by cruel children.
posted by ambulocetus to Society & Culture (5 answers total)

IMDB says it is 1969's J. T., a TV movie.
posted by dayintoday at 6:39 AM on December 17, 2016

Wow, Thanks! I seriously thought that it was so obscure it would be a lot harder to find. Never underestimate the hivemind.
I suspect that actually finding a copy to watch will not be that easy, so if anybody actually watched this, you are welcome to share your memories of it. Going to check youtube now.
posted by ambulocetus at 7:07 AM on December 17, 2016

For what it is worth, I remember reading the book.
posted by coevals at 7:44 AM on December 17, 2016

The kids stoning the bird was from a 70s movie called A Girl Named Sooner, also on YouTube.
posted by HeyAllie at 8:24 AM on December 17, 2016

https://youtu.be/5VpARu1EOfI
posted by therealshell at 10:31 AM on December 17, 2016

« Older Streaming, interesting Christmas music   |   Seeking methods of contacting retiring antiquarian... Newer »