2 dozen little perfect bell peppers (capsicums), what to do?

I have just taken possession of about 2 dozen small but lovely, ripe, bell peppers, which we call Capsicums here, and I would adore ideas for how best to use them.

They are fresh and ripe now, but I should use them, although not necessarily consume them, within 2 days to get the best out of them.

They are not the eeny-weeny-micro-or-nano-sized ones they sell as a novelty, they are just "under-sized" for the supermarket, about 1/5 to 1/4 size. The whole bunch only weighed 1 Kg (and cost me only a few bucks). They are mostly ruby-red or saffron-yellow in colour with a few green splashes. One is all green but I don't think colour makes a huge difference.

I have thought about stuffing them but not really sure where to go from the thought.

I have 2 days of almost free time, above average cooking skills, access to most ingredients, a decently equipped kitchen and adventurous taste buds. I also take a big jar of salad to work most days and if I could combine my baby-gorgeous capsicums into that it would be good too!

Flavour ideas or recollections of fun bell-pepper moments are fine, I am not looking for tried-and-true or I-must-use type recipes.
posted by esto-again to Food & Drink (12 answers total)

Slice in half, remove seeds and stalk.
Put on baking tray, skin side down.
Finely chop some garlic and distribute between pepper halves.
Drizzle with olive oil, and add some salt & pepper.
Cook in the oven at 180C for 25mins.

Great on their own or sliced up smaller in pasta or salad.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 3:43 AM on November 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

Slice them into strips and sauté them with onion and garlic until soft. Eat in a tortilla with chicken, beef, or scrambled eggs, plus salsa, sour cream, and avocado if you can get good ones.
posted by neushoorn at 4:03 AM on November 25, 2016 [3 favorites]

My gran loved stuffed peppers and always made a lot at a time which she put in the freezer for rainy days. Her recipe was very similar to the first one that came up when I googled, with minced beef and rice.
I once used them as containers for minestrone at an event - the idea was that you could eat the pepper when you had finished the soup. I can see how that could also be a freezer-freindly variation on the stuffed peppers: make the soup, pour it into the peppers, put the "lid" back on and freeze them - either individually or in packs of four. Easy to put into a microwave for lunch or an oven for an appetizer when entertaining. You'd probably need to blanche the peppers first if you want to freeze them.
Personally, I like peppers best when they are char-grilled and then preserved in olive oil - they keep for ages that way, and you can use both the peppers and the oil for salads. Here's a recipe.
I also like the middle-European style, where they are marinated in vinegar, but I haven't tried that personally.
posted by mumimor at 4:25 AM on November 25, 2016

I think this is the recipe we use, which is amazing. Everyone loves these, and now people strongly request wet make them for gatherings.
posted by JMOZ at 5:00 AM on November 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

Peperonata
posted by Defying Gravity at 5:11 AM on November 25, 2016

Slice into strips, toss with salt and olive oil and pop in the oven. Get some good bread and top a slice (maybe toasted) with a schmear of goat cheese, red pepper slices and pumpkin seeds. Refrigerate any leftover pepper.

Here are some recipes for mini peppers, some might work for you. More ideas.
posted by bunderful at 5:19 AM on November 25, 2016

Eat them raw, with a dip if you must--maybe hummus. They are really good all by themselves.
posted by hydropsyche at 8:59 AM on November 25, 2016

Roast some, and maybe make them into muhammara (Turkish/Syrian red pepper, walnut, and pomegranate molasses spread). It's the best condiment--delicious as a spread or dip with bread or raw vegetables, or as an accompaniment for meat, fish, or eggs.

Take the rest and make biber dolması--peppers stuffed with rice, ground meat, tomato, and spices. Here's one recipe; here's another. Serve with garlic yogurt.
posted by karayel at 1:23 PM on November 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

Romesco sauce. Sort of like pesto, but with bell peppers. Serve with pasta, on bruschetta, on sauteed zucchini, or just eat it with a spoon.
posted by metaseeker at 1:51 PM on November 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

thanks everyone. I'm reading and loving your links :)
posted by esto-again at 2:53 PM on November 25, 2016

No recipe ideas, but here's how to cut them.
posted by Johnny Wallflower at 3:31 PM on November 25, 2016

Slice in half or quarter and remove seeds and ribs. Sprinkle interior generously with your favorite melting cheese (brie is particularly great, but if you're more into something sharper that works too) and top with chunks of olives. I think green olives go better with red and orange peppers while black olives go well with green peppers but feel free to do different combinations of whatever olives and cheese you like. Drizzle roasting pan with olive oil and salt, place peppers on pan and crack some black pepper over top. Broil until the cheese is melty and just starting to brown. Great appetizer or snack, goes well as a substantial side component of a crunchy salad, easy for non-cooks to "build" their own and make lots of different variations.
posted by Mizu at 2:01 AM on November 26, 2016

« Older Sunday night dinner in Manchester, UK   |   Can iPads be used to grade assignments submitted... Newer »