What's a good slogan for a neighborhood anti-racism poster?

Someone put up white-persecution, alt-right posters in the neighbourhood where I grew up. I am staying tuned to plans for collective action / response but I will be there on Thursday and plan to put up some posters of my own, as a personal response. What's a good slogan / message? Bonus points: kid-friendly/kid-understandable (it's a park with athletic facilities and a playground), pithy.
posted by sixswitch to Law & Government (16 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Perhaps a quote from the great Mr. Rogers.
posted by neeta at 7:54 PM on November 14, 2016 [4 favorites]

Jack Layton's last words:

Love is better than anger,
Hope is better than fear,
Optimism is better than despair.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic
And we'll change the world.
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 7:56 PM on November 14, 2016 [5 favorites]

Or simply:

You are welcome here.
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 8:01 PM on November 14, 2016 [10 favorites]

Oh, and if you wanted a specific quote from Mr. Rogers, there are quite a few, but perhaps this one?

"How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us."

It can be taken many different ways, but I think that might be the beauty of it?
posted by neeta at 8:48 PM on November 14, 2016 [4 favorites]

STRONGER TOGETHER!

Maybe have kids decorate them with flowers and drawings of happy playtimes.
posted by honey-barbara at 9:05 PM on November 14, 2016 [2 favorites]

Depending on the slogan you choose, can you post it directly on top of the offending flyer (on a diagonal?) in essense, supplanting the racist one.
posted by TWinbrook8 at 9:29 PM on November 14, 2016 [1 favorite]

First of all, THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS! For some reason, racists and xenophobes seem to be more comfortable broadcasting their views than the majority, so it's great to see somebody promoting decent values in a loud, proud way.

I wouldn't worry about making all the slogans super-simple and super-easy to understand - if I were doing this, along with the ones that anybody can grasp I would mix in some which are slightly more complex and might start conversations, particularly between children and parents.

With that in mind, Desmond Tutu in particular and the antiapartheid movement in general will provide a rich seam for you. I particularly like these ones, which touch on the African philosophy of Ubuntu:

"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together."

"A person is a person because he recognizes others as persons."

And this one, which is easy to understand but always gives me pause:

"Our differences are a reminder of how much we need each other."

And this one, which frankly should be put up in every playground on earth:

"Children are a wonderful gift. They have an extraordinary capacity to see into the heart of things and to expose sham and humbug for what they are."

(All of these quotes are from Tutu by the way. He's just wonderful.)

Good luck, I hope this goes well!
posted by matthew.alexander at 2:37 AM on November 15, 2016 [1 favorite]

Someone in the states started a Neighborhood Love Notes thing -- you might get inspiration by seeing what people have written there.
posted by Fig at 3:11 AM on November 15, 2016 [1 favorite]

Diversity makes America great
posted by daisyace at 4:48 AM on November 15, 2016 [1 favorite]

A church in Harrisonburg VA has been distributing this sign.
posted by veery at 5:12 AM on November 15, 2016 [5 favorites]

And missed the edit window, but they have a pdf version that you can print out on their main page.
posted by veery at 5:19 AM on November 15, 2016 [2 favorites]

That's my friend the Rev. Ashley Horan, a Unitarian-Universalist minister. Here's what she wrote about it. I went out with a friend and did my own this past Sunday. It was really easy: I grabbed a couple boxes of sidewalk chalk, made a list of things I'd like to say, and went to the place in my area (I'm at a university) where the messages would be seen by international and minority students.

Even if you're in a really rainy place where it doesn't make sense to use chalk, you can use the messages from these for inspiration to come up with laminated posters or something else.
posted by ocherdraco at 7:04 AM on November 15, 2016 [4 favorites]

Not sure if it will give you ideas, but this just really made me proud of my community.
posted by DrAstroZoom at 7:16 AM on November 15, 2016

Thanks everyone! These are inspiring examples.
posted by sixswitch at 8:02 AM on November 15, 2016

Needs some editing to make it pithy, but in perhaps the first recorded instance in history of a positive comment on an article, I LOVE this comment on the article in DrAstroZoom's link. I think you could do something with that first sentence.*

"Flowers of varying color only serve to enhance the splendor of a garden. The melodies of variegated birds sing in harmony as they soar in the same sky. Why can't the same unity exist among the diverse members of humanity? The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens."

*I tried googling it and didn't come up with any hits, but if there needs to be an attribution to someone else please let me know
posted by telepanda at 9:27 AM on November 15, 2016

LOVE TRUMPS HATE.

Simple, pithy, immediately communicative.
posted by DarlingBri at 1:22 PM on November 15, 2016

« Older In the style of...   |   How to combat mansplaining Newer »