Trying to find a Dicksens memoir/short story about his childhood

Many years ago, probably in college, I read a short story sized work by Dickens about his childhood. His parents were in the poorhouse because of some debt and he was supporting himself. He talked about walking to work (some horrible industrializing job) and having to decide between a sticky bun for breakfast and no dinner or plain bread and some dinner. I probably misremember the details, but the overall point - no safety net, child on his own, working, etc. was the point. Wikipedia has a good description of the actual facts of that period of his life.

I often think of Dickens generally and this story as a point around which my social politics crystalize - I don't want to live in that world and thus I believe the government has an important role in taking care of the poor. And not Dickensian work camps.

In light of recent events, I'd like to find and reread it; maybe encourage my kids to read as well.
posted by Measured Out my Life in Coffeespoons to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

This seems likely to be the autobiographical fragment included in the 'Hard Experiences in Boyhood' section of Forster's The Life of Charles Dickens. It discusses his breakfast/dinner, working conditions, etc.
posted by Wobbuffet at 10:44 AM on November 13, 2016 [3 favorites]

That looks like it! Thank you.
posted by Measured Out my Life in Coffeespoons at 11:07 AM on November 13, 2016

« Older That's why we invited you   |   Pimp My Noodles Newer »