Adding lavender scent to kinetic sand?

I'd like to add a lavender scent to some kinetic sand for a friend. I was wondering if I could somehow add a scent to store bought batch?

I like the idea of making it from scratch but I don't really have the time and a lot of the videos and tutorials I've seen online seem like they involve a lot of trial and error. Can anyone think of a reason adding some essential oil to premade kinetic sand would ruin it? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to chemistry. Any thoughts, ideas or insights are most welcome.
posted by unicornologist to Grab Bag (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It was originally designed to suck up oily liquids per wikipedia, so it should probably work without turning into foul snot. Maybe?
posted by sebastienbailard at 2:36 AM on November 12, 2016 [1 favorite]

I'd poke some sprigs of fresh lavender in it, seal it in a container, and leave it for several days, same as if I wanted to make rosemary scented salt or vanilla sugar. The delicate goo structure of kinetic sand doesn't stand up well to added liquids. (At least water, oil idk.)
posted by phunniemee at 4:46 AM on November 12, 2016 [6 favorites]

If you can't find fresh, you could put dried lavender into a little mesh bag. Squish the buds to release the scent before sticking it in with the sand.
posted by cabingirl at 5:00 AM on November 12, 2016 [3 favorites]

I would put about five drops of lavender essential oil ($8 for a tiny jar at any health food store) into a disposable plastic container, use your finger wrapped in a scrap of plastic wrap* to spread the oil around to lightly coat the whole interior, and put the sand in it for a couple days with the lid on. It should absorb the scent strongly but not absorb enough of the oil to change the texture.

*the plastic wrap isn't strictly needed but it will protect your finger from smelling like a lavender patch for 3 days
posted by pseudostrabismus at 7:37 PM on November 12, 2016

« Older Cocaine Kola Nuts   |   Seasonal Job Ideas Newer »