Authors like Stephen King?

Are there authors with a style similar to Stephen King?

Looking for an author who specializes in similar topics (horror/paranormal), twists, writing style that can keep even the most casual reader engaged for 500 pages. I've heard some people complain that he is too long-winded, but he is one of the few authors who can manage to keep my attention! I have enjoyed a few good non-Stephen King books here and there but don't really know of any authors I should look into the way I am into Stephen King. I never got into Cliver Barker much, just to eliminate that right off the bat.

Thrillers or similar books would be ok too. It does not necessarily need to be straight horror.
posted by atinna to Media & Arts (22 answers total) 33 users marked this as a favorite

Gary Jennings comes to mind.
posted by vegartanipla at 7:58 PM on November 11, 2016

This is possibly too obvious, but what about his son, Joe Hill?
posted by miratime at 8:09 PM on November 11, 2016 [7 favorites]

Dean Koontz
posted by HuronBob at 8:11 PM on November 11, 2016 [4 favorites]

I think Christopher Pike is probably similar.
posted by Blitz at 8:25 PM on November 11, 2016

Adding Chuck Palahniuk and Dan Simmons.
posted by Altomentis at 8:42 PM on November 11, 2016

I recommend Tabitha King, who is married to Stephen. She's actually a bit better than he is at wordsmithery, IMHO--and I say this as someone who likes Stephen King. I think he's stronger in terms of yarn-spinning and suspense-building, though. If that's what you're looking for, try Scott Smith, who wrote The Ruins and A Simple Plan.
posted by Beethoven's Sith at 9:36 PM on November 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Also recommending Dean Koontz. He has written a ton of books. His style has evolved over time. My favorites of his are Lightning and Watchers and others written around that period. His more recent stuff is not as well written imho but worth a read to see if it is what you are after.
posted by ChristineSings at 9:54 PM on November 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

I was reading Koontz around the time I was reading King. 'Dark Rivers of the Heart' was a bit of an awakening to the 'surveillance state' concept for me.
posted by quinndexter at 12:54 AM on November 12, 2016

Peter Straub. Shadowland was pretty good.
posted by Nilehorse at 1:31 AM on November 12, 2016 [2 favorites]

Michael Koryta. He is described as crime/suspense/supernatural fiction. I've only read The Cypress House but I could not put it down. I can't wait to read more by him.
posted by TWinbrook8 at 3:08 AM on November 12, 2016

Does Richard Bachman count?
posted by humboldt32 at 4:48 AM on November 12, 2016 [3 favorites]

John Connolly His bad guys are awful and scary and i love his books. read them in a matter of days.
posted by speakeasy at 7:27 AM on November 12, 2016

Dick Francis wrote the same book over forty times, and it's a gripping and entertaining read every time.
posted by flabdablet at 8:27 AM on November 12, 2016 [4 favorites]

I just picked up The Cypress House on TWinbrook8's recommendation and finished it in three and a half hours, so I'll second that recommendation! I have really loved Paul Tremblay, specifically Disappearance at Devil's Rock and A Head Full of Ghosts. Scott Smith's The Ruins was a real page-turner too.
posted by dinofuzz at 2:55 PM on November 12, 2016

Joe R. Lansdale can be hugely entertaining.
posted by metagnathous at 4:05 PM on November 12, 2016

Another vote for Peter Straub here, his older stuff at least. If you liked The Talisman and/or Black House by King, note that they were co-written with Straub. (It was Talisman that turned me on to Straub thirty years ago.)
posted by Two unicycles and some duct tape at 5:23 PM on November 12, 2016

Thanks for all the suggestions! Lots of these look fantastic and I can't wait to get a hold of them and get some reading done.
posted by atinna at 8:58 PM on November 12, 2016

When I was into this genre, I really enjoyed Dean Koontz, and then transitioned to John Saul. I recommend that you check out John Saul, who I don't see listed above.
posted by hydra77 at 11:00 AM on November 13, 2016

Popping in really late, but you might be interested in Peter Straub. His most famous book was Ghost Story which is excellent (don't judge it from the movie). He and King also collaborated on a book Black House
posted by rtimmel at 12:31 PM on November 13, 2016

Justin Cronin. Specifically The Passage Trilogy.
posted by erebora at 2:44 PM on November 13, 2016

You should give Dennis Lehane a go.
posted by Rams at 5:19 PM on November 13, 2016

« Older NYC Apartment Filter: Paying the deposit/first...   |   Toddler car trip audio options? Newer »