Australians and New Zealanders, what do your kids watch?

I’m specifically looking for reasonably recent TV shows or films for kids that are made in Australia or New Zealand. I have boys in the 6 to 12 age range. Thanks.
posted by guy72277 to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Thunderbirds Are Go is an Amazon series produced by Weta Workshop. (The main characters are mostly voiced with American accents though). I would have loved loved loved it when I was a kid. (I love it as an adult...) There are some aesthetic and design choices that deliberately reference some of the technical limitations of its 1960s source material (Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's Thunderbirds) so some of it might seem odd visually if you aren't familiar with the look of the original.

One of the things I love about it is that it's mostly about problem-solving, not so focused on bad guys, although they do have a nemesis.
posted by under_petticoat_rule at 7:32 AM on November 10, 2016

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4698684/
Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
posted by sconbie at 7:40 AM on November 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

Just wanted to say that I'm really looking for Australian or New Zealand accented recommendations, please. Sorry not to have been more precise under_petticoat_rule.
posted by guy72277 at 8:00 AM on November 10, 2016

At the upper end of that age bracket, The Nowhere Boys is a great series.
posted by antipodes at 11:34 AM on November 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

Check out www.abc.net.au and their programming. ABC3 in particular.
posted by geek anachronism at 2:12 PM on November 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

And there is a preview for the next series of Nowhere Boys tonight (says my 9yo). Bushwhacked is pretty good - nature/ indigenous culture / adventure. Little Lunch is great but might be a bit inner Melbourne.
posted by hawthorne at 2:16 PM on November 10, 2016

Cleverman
"I have a huge love of superheroes and comics. It got me thinking about creating something cultural that my young son could connect to on a superhero basis," said Ryan Griffen, Concept Originator.

"I wanted to bring something Aboriginal, Indigenous, to that world. As the son of a light-skinned Aboriginal man and a light-skinned Aboriginal woman, it was important for me that my son had a cultural superhero that he could look up to as a young Aboriginal person. Something he could connect to that was also entertaining."
I don't know how sensitive your boys are but this might suit.
posted by unliteral at 3:53 PM on November 10, 2016

I came in to suggest Round the Twist, which is not recent, but very good. I found this link to the Australia Children's Television Foundation which seems like a pretty good start.
posted by kjs4 at 8:20 PM on November 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

They would probably like:

Round the Twist
Genie from Down Under

Both are a little old, but about the right age group. However, for more stuff to mine, Wikipedia has this helpful list which would be more helpful with age brackets but alas...
posted by ninazer0 at 8:21 PM on November 10, 2016

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. I'll definitely be checking those series out and browsing the Australia Children's Television Foundation and ABC3 sites as well as that incredibly specific Wikipedia page.
posted by guy72277 at 11:42 PM on November 10, 2016

I second Little Lunch -- it's odd, smart and just overall great. My 3 boys (11, 8, & 6) were obsessed with the show this summer. It's available on Netflix.
posted by zeikka at 10:42 AM on November 11, 2016

Paper Planes is a good, recent Australian film - perfect for that age group.
posted by cholly at 4:36 PM on November 11, 2016

« Older Why does Amazon have to estimate sales tax?   |   Community organizing book recs Newer »