Things which are true now but were not true 6 years ago
November 7, 2016 10:51 AM   Subscribe

A major shopping mall just opened in our area. My mother made a funny remark about how the baby will live in a world where the existence of this shopping mall was always a truth whereas his six-year-old brother has not. It has me wondering about other things, bigger and smaller, which are true now but were not true six years ago...

Baby is two weeks old and big brother is six years old. What other ways can we contrast the world they were born into? Looking for both big things and small ones...
posted by JoannaC to Grab Bag (18 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Baby will never know a world in which the Chicago Cubs are cursed!
posted by We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese at 11:01 AM on November 7, 2016 [23 favorites]

The meaning of "Slide to Unlock".
posted by Seeking Direction at 11:02 AM on November 7, 2016 [3 favorites]

These days, women are Presidents.
posted by phunniemee at 11:06 AM on November 7, 2016 [16 favorites]

The baby will not know a world where iPhones have headphone jacks.
posted by COD at 11:06 AM on November 7, 2016 [1 favorite]

Marriage between people of the same sex is a given.
posted by late afternoon dreaming hotel at 11:11 AM on November 7, 2016 [16 favorites]

Baby will never have to wonder if the Higgs Boson really exists.
posted by ubiquity at 11:13 AM on November 7, 2016 [2 favorites]

Legal recreational marijuana. (Maybe not the best example for children. But still.)
posted by cabingirl at 11:29 AM on November 7, 2016 [2 favorites]

Taylor Swift was a country singer with curly hair when Big Brother was born. Baby will know her as a pop singer with straight hair.
posted by Metroid Baby at 11:30 AM on November 7, 2016

Baby will always know what Pluto looks.
Humans have landed on, among other things, a comet.
Baby will always live in a world with a Chinese space station and a Chinese rover on the Moon.
We know of hundreds (thousands?) of planets orbiting other stars now.
Glenn Beck is apparently some sort of Democrat now but I'm personally not buying it.
Metafilter has always been run by Cortex
posted by bondcliff at 11:33 AM on November 7, 2016 [7 favorites]

Hamilton has always been a thing.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 11:40 AM on November 7, 2016 [6 favorites]

The giant panda is no longer "endangered."
posted by vunder at 11:44 AM on November 7, 2016 [2 favorites]

David Bowie...
posted by Devoidoid at 12:11 PM on November 7, 2016 [3 favorites]

RC drones.
posted by SemiSalt at 1:17 PM on November 7, 2016

I started watching the Lord of the Rings movies with my younger kids last week when I suddenly realized none of them were born when the movies came out (Return of the King came out in 2003!). The 10-year-old said "aren't these movies really old?"

No, but apparently I am.
posted by tacodave at 3:09 PM on November 7, 2016 [7 favorites]

Per Wikipedia, "Kickstarter launched on April 28, 2009, by Perry Chen, Yancey Strickler, and Charles Adler," but "Time named it one of the "Best Inventions of 2010"[10] and "Best Websites of 2011"" so you might say Kickstarting things is a wasn't quite there thing then, but it's normal now...

Wikipedia's Internet properties established in 2010 might offer a few items of (eventual, perhaps) note?
posted by kmennie at 6:31 PM on November 7, 2016

In 2013, Billboard started incorporating Youtube views when determining their Hot 100 singles chart for the USA.
posted by 23skidoo at 7:36 PM on November 7, 2016

Similar-but-not-exactly-your-ask is the annual Mindset List, started in 1998 ago by Beloit College faculty. It provides a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students about to enter college: http://themindsetlist.com/
posted by dancing leaves at 6:44 AM on November 8, 2016

In 2010, 239.9 million compact discs were sold; in 2015 sales had dropped to 125.6 million.

Not the greatest example, but today I was talking to my nephew (born in 2006 or thereabouts) and he didn't know what a CD was/is.
posted by mr. digits at 9:15 AM on November 8, 2016

« Older Fun ways for a 5 year old to enjoy playing music...   |   Great Airbrnb in an unsafe area. Should I mention... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.