Tampa Road Trip Suggestons Early February?

A buddy and I cashed in air miles for a Florida vacation in early February, 2016. We fly into/out of Tampa and have six nights. We will have a rental car. We will be leaving frozen Montana. What do you sugest we do? Dislkes inside.

We are guys in our 50's. Decades long friends who travel together because neither of us have a current wife.

We are Montanan's so we like to do outside things.

I would apprecate hearing about good Holiday Inns, Marriots or Hilton hotels on the beach because I have a lot of points with them.

Thanks.
posted by ITravelMontana to Travel & Transportation around Tampa, FL (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Go to Busch Gardens if you like Roller Coasters. If you're a meat eater make it to La Teresita or Columbia Restaurant and get a Cuban sandwich (which should really be called the Tampa sandwich since Cuban immigrants came up with it in Tampa).

How outdoorsy? You can book some nice sea kayaking trips that time of year (although it's the peak of the season so rentals will be hard to find on short notice). Checkout Sweetwater Kayaks in St. Pete.

Be sure to make it out to Clearwater for one of the best beaches around. Take the ferry out to Caladesi Island. There's a 50/50 chance dolphins will follow you (they've joined me on every trip out there).
posted by dis_integration at 8:48 PM on October 31, 2016

There are a lot of alligators in Myakka River State Park. There's a tour boat that goes out over the lake -- that's the main way to see the lake. There's also a trail with an arboreal walk that's kind of nice.
posted by amtho at 10:15 PM on October 31, 2016 [1 favorite]

I grew up in that area, and I would suggest checking out the springs. There might be manatees in King's bay, Crystal River that time of year, and three sisters spring is pretty neat if you want to snorkel. Crystal River is about an hour north of Tampa.
posted by Maxwell's demon at 10:58 PM on October 31, 2016

Ft. DeSoto Park at the southernmost end of St. Pete Beach is great for a day out, exploring the old fort and a pretty, undeveloped beach. Or head south to Sanibel Island near Ft. Myers for a few days of amazing shelling.
posted by amusebuche at 2:50 AM on November 1, 2016

Tarpon Springs is a really neat Greek Town just north of Tampa. Great food and they can take you out on a sponge diving boat. If you want a taste of old school Florida you should check out Weeki Wachee Springs for the mermaid show and Homosassa Springs State Park, they're right by Crystal River so you could make a day trip out of it. To the south, Sarasota has beautiful white sand beaches that you shouldn't miss, plus the Ringling Museum.
posted by galvanized unicorn at 8:41 AM on November 1, 2016 [2 favorites]

I stayed in the Hilton on Clearwater Beach in September. It was under construction so some of the amenities were closed. I'd recommend verifying the construction has been completed before staying there.
posted by glenngulia at 8:55 AM on November 1, 2016

You mean besides Disney World?

Note also that it will be kinda chilly in Florida in February. Not, like, Montana cold, but unlikely for beach swimming and the like.
posted by Huffy Puffy at 9:25 AM on November 1, 2016

Seconding Myakka. Lots of trails, too, and you can camp. It's gorgeous.
posted by Don Pepino at 3:29 PM on November 1, 2016

Ybor City is nice for a day trip.
posted by Don Pepino at 3:30 PM on November 1, 2016

Thank you, those are all good suggestions.
posted by ITravelMontana at 7:46 PM on November 4, 2016

« Older Ticket refund   |   What to do for a weekend in Boston? Newer »