What vegetarian dinner should I serve with buttermilk biscuits?
October 28, 2016 10:28 PM   Subscribe

A friend from the UK who is enamored with my buttermilk biscuits is coming to visit, and I'm making her dinner. What should I serve with the biscuits?

I guess I could do some kind of breakfast-for-dinner thing where I make gravy, like my beloved Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy from Vegan With a Vengeance, but I want to think outside the box a bit. What other vegetarian meals would taste good with my baking specialty?
posted by mynameisluka to Food & Drink (22 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Pinto beans cooked with onion, olive oil, garlic, and oregano. Optionally add tomato sauce and chili powder. Two onions for a pound of beans is not too much. If you have time, caramelize one of the onions for a darker, richer broth. Kale, spinach, or the dark outer leaves of cabbage might also be a good addition.
posted by Bruce H. at 10:40 PM on October 28, 2016 [4 favorites]

I'd serve this with a plain omelet and mixed greens. My recipe for vegetarian greens:

-- Sauté onions in an ample amount of butter until lightly browned
-- Wash and chop a mix of greens (I like collards + mustard greens)
-- Add greens to the pan and sauté for about ten minutes
-- Finish with a splash of soy sauce and a splash of balsamic; cook until liquid reduces
posted by aws17576 at 11:07 PM on October 28, 2016 [6 favorites]

I love having biscuits with vegetarian chilli.
posted by rozee at 11:11 PM on October 28, 2016 [9 favorites]

"Chicken fried" tofu with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. Classic Americana.
posted by betweenthebars at 11:41 PM on October 28, 2016 [4 favorites]

Ooh, how about a delicious, colorful bowl of hearty squash soup? It's comfort food that goes with the yummy bickies as well as being season-appropriate.
posted by Klaxon Aoooogah at 12:03 AM on October 29, 2016 [1 favorite]

- Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- Cheese and Vegetarian Sausage
- Vegetarian Sausage crumbled in Creamy Mushroom Gravy

A side of sautéed Collards and Mustard Greens. Go full soul food channel. Do the last one (crumbled veg sausage in creamy mushroom gravy) because the gods are watching you.
posted by jbenben at 12:26 AM on October 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

I love fluffy warm biscuits with something like a stew or curry texture. One of my favorites is Japanese curry with stew/pot-pie vegetables (potatoes, peas, carrots, onion, etc). A vegetarian chili could also work well in this context. Sopping up all that saucy goodness with a biscuit is one of the best things in this world.

Also, not necessarily something I'd do with biscuits made from scratch, but one of my favorite of my grandmother's recipes is a sort of mock pot-pie which is made by assembling all the ingredients for a pot pie in a baking dish and then paving the whole thing with biscuits. It results in something that lives in the territory between pot pie, cottage pie, and biscuits with gravy.

If you wanna do the "classic Americana" thing betweenthebars mentions, I'd go with a breaded veggie cutlet over tofu. Unless you marinate the hell out of the tofu or flavor it with something, maybe?
posted by Sara C. at 12:53 AM on October 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

If they'd work in strawberry shortcake, that might be a nice extra dessert-y surprise for your friend.
posted by cdefgfeadgagfe at 2:49 AM on October 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

I've been using my leftover breakfast biscuits as buns for breaded veggie burgers. Nothing fancy, but the biscuits go really well with the fried breaded coating. It also nicely sets off brighter sides, like sweet potatoes or greens.
posted by chrisulonic at 3:51 AM on October 29, 2016

Seconding Sara C. - my first inclination when I read this was something like a beef stew, minus the beef - carrots, potatoes, celery, peas, green beans, pearl onions in a hearty broth/sauce, cooked in the oven until perfectly soft. Mmmm...
posted by jferg at 5:06 AM on October 29, 2016 [3 favorites]

Beans'n greens. Your pick of each, though I'll advocate for black-eyed peas and collard greens.
posted by PMdixon at 5:23 AM on October 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

Simple and (to her, maybe) exotic: get a Tofurkey and roast it in a big pot with some vegetables. (Note: I have a vegetarian friend from India who is very much put off by "fake meat" products, so run this idea by her first).
posted by amtho at 6:20 AM on October 29, 2016

Oh god! I love askmeta recipe posts!
Just about everything I fix theses days came from these hallowed pages!
posted by james33 at 6:31 AM on October 29, 2016

This is perfect for skillet pie! You cook up your fillings in a skillet, put the unbaked biscuits on top, then put it in the oven to bake everything. Here's one of my faves: http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/2008/11/mole-skillet-pie-with-greens.html
posted by pixiecrinkle at 7:55 AM on October 29, 2016

Milk gravy (which you may know as sausage gravy, but the sausage isn't necessary) with plenty of black pepper. Can add veggie sausage if that's their jam, I don't have a veg gravy recipe to hand, but they're pretty easy to google. As mentioned above, something breaded and fried is a great accompaniment.
posted by momus_window at 9:04 AM on October 29, 2016

I'd reach for my copy of the cookbook issued by The Grit in Athens: their yeast gravy and black bean chili is legit. Or go into deep south soul food -- beans, collard & mustard greens, pot likker. (Use hard cheese rinds in lieu of the traditional ham hocks.)
posted by holgate at 10:15 AM on October 29, 2016 [1 favorite]

Sounds like they would be good with shakshuka! (Eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce, add cheese for extra points)
posted by pseudostrabismus at 10:18 AM on October 29, 2016 [1 favorite]

I like the suggestions of chili and stew, but if you think your friend would like putting jam or marmalade on her biscuit, I'd go for a broth-style soup. (Not entirely sure why...)
posted by SemiSalt at 4:14 PM on October 29, 2016

This mushroom bourguignon is outstanding on biscuits. I am eyeing our leftovers from earlier tonight right now, actually.
posted by ThatSomething at 8:17 PM on October 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

I always serve biscuits when I make this butternut squash soup.
posted by mollywas at 11:24 PM on October 29, 2016 [2 favorites]

Vegetarian spezzatino. Made it many times with and without beef, it's great either way. Pairs well with most any kind of bread. I use a pretty simple recipe--carrots, onion, celery, potatoes, red wine, tomato paste, salt & pepper.
posted by aerotive at 2:16 PM on October 30, 2016

A pumpkin curry would be seasonally appropriate.
posted by Julnyes at 12:24 PM on October 31, 2016

« Older What Job Perks Are Commonly Negotiated In 2016?   |   How do I politely decline going to a wedding? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.