Airplay puzzle

Why can't I select a given local Mac as an Airplay playback device?

I have many Apple devices, including phones, Airports, iPads, and multiple computers. Most of the devices that can support Airplay playback appear as Airplay playback targets from any one of the given devices that can be used to direct my iTunes toward and thru them.

However, one of the computers does not appear as an Airplay playback device. It is subscribed to Home Sharing and can, itself, direct playback through the other Airplay playback devices.

What in the Sam Hill is going on here?

The machine itself displays some audio quirks, in that sometimes it thinks it's playing audio though a given physically-connected playback device (USB, headphones, whatever) but no actual audio signal is reaching the locally-connected devices. I think this must be a clue.

The machine in question is running Yosemite 10.10.5, as is the primary iTunes-hosting computer.
posted by mwhybark to Computers & Internet

« Older Bold and Happy Style   |   Easiest way to turn a HTML+JavaScript page into an... Newer »