Best recent music videos

I don't watch many music videos and know I'm missing out on a lot. I want to watch more. I'm not sure where to look first, though, so I'm asking for recommendations. Specifics inside.

It's probably Beyonce's "Lemonade" album and the barrage of tumblr .gifs that prompted this question. There is just so much that you miss if you only listen to the music. And then I was watching Missy Elliot's "WTF" video, which is not really the same thing -but is still really visually striking and fun to watch.

I'm not particular about genre. And while I'd like to know about recent videos, if there are any stand-out classics you think I should know about, I welcome those recommendations too.

I would appreciate direct links if you have them. I'm on slow internet and it can take some time to browse.
posted by Kutsuwamushi to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Jenny, by Studio Killers.
It's a cartoon, and *nothing* is as it first seems.
posted by the Real Dan at 11:11 AM on October 4, 2016

Genghis Khan from Miike Snow is from January-ish, I believe, but it still makes me giggle. And if you enjoy that one, My Trigger is from the same group and cast with the same actors.
posted by the primroses were over at 11:40 AM on October 4, 2016

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
posted by josher71 at 11:51 AM on October 4, 2016 [1 favorite]

FFS - Johnny Delusional
Caution: May cause motion sickness
posted by SansPoint at 12:49 PM on October 4, 2016

Any of the recent Sia videos.
posted by greta simone at 8:21 PM on October 4, 2016 [2 favorites]

It's not technically stunning or anything but Bomba Estéreo's new video warms the cockles of my heart for its depiction of an unabashedly confident kid of color. I've been practicing those dance moves.
posted by Brittanie at 4:33 AM on October 5, 2016

It was all over the Net when it was released, but Radiohead's Burn the Witch is still pretty fantastic.
posted by uberchet at 7:08 AM on October 5, 2016

The Single Ladies video is an unmissable classic if you're a Beyoncé fan.

Also not new, but Lady Gaga's Bad Romance made a big impact on me at the time.

Janelle Monáe's music videos are dense but fun, and addictively watchable.
Tightrope.
Q.U.E.E.N. feat. Erykah Badu.
Dance Apocalyptic.
Electric Lady.
Cold War.

The video for Shut Up and Dance cracks me up every time.

And I'm not proud of this, but I'm kind of a sucker for the Blank Space video and other such Taylor Swift confections.
posted by somedaycatlady at 8:01 PM on October 5, 2016 [1 favorite]

Hot Chip have a couple incredible videos too. I'm a fan of: " I Feel Better" and "Night and Day".
posted by SansPoint at 6:43 AM on October 6, 2016

« Older Salt Water Short Story - Canadian Edition   |   You were made as well as we could make you. Newer »