Couch to 5k for playing the piano

I let my piano playing go during college! Are there any incremental systems for re-learning how to play the piano?

Hi Mefi! My failure to keep practising the piano during university has been a source of stress/shame for a few years now! Do you know any books/systems/routines/recommendations for re-learning the piano after a loong break away?

Thank you!! :)
posted by Crookshanks_Meow to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 36 users marked this as a favorite

I bought How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons a while ago for similar reasons after reading a recommendation on AskMe and haven't got around to using it yet, but it looks good, might be what you're after.
posted by penguin pie at 5:48 AM on September 27, 2016 [2 favorites]

First you need to figure out what you really want. "Shame" not enough motivation.

What did you enjoy about playing piano? What do you dream of being able to do: play a recital? Play in a rock band? Play your friends' favorite songs at a party so they can sing along? Produce electronic music? Play just for yourself? Accompany yourself on a song you wrote at a coffee house open mic?

Do you have a favorite genre, or a favorite piece of music you would like to play?

Also: what sort of equipment or funds do you have available to you, and what other musical background do you have? (Have you taken lessons, or college classes, or sung in a choir?)

"I want to learn the piano" is like "I want to learn literature". There are potential lifetimes' worth of study, you need some direction.
posted by floppyroofing at 8:00 AM on September 27, 2016 [1 favorite]

When I picked up the flute again after 40 years, I found a book titled "I used to play the flute". There may be one in the series for piano. Mostly it's just pieces with of a reasonable degree of difficulty.

After about 18 months, I started taking lessons. I should have started sooner. Even if you don't do formal lesson, seek out some guidance would be a good thing.
posted by SemiSalt at 9:15 AM on September 27, 2016

This is more gimmicky and fun than a serious course of study, but it might be appealing to you: The Re-Introduction Etudes:
Chilly Gonzales brings some of the joy back to the lapsed amateur pianist with his Re-Introduction Etudes: a book of 24 easy-to-master, fun-to-play piano pieces specifically designed to unlock musical mysteries for those who gave it up.
The tutorial videos on youtube give a taste of the pieces.
posted by rollick at 9:31 AM on September 27, 2016 [2 favorites]

I've started playing again for the first time in more than 15 years and I've just been going through Hanon and Czerny. Also, picking up pieces I used to play frequently or compete with. My brain still remembers them, which surprised me a lot, because at first I had to relearn how to read music!
posted by raw sugar at 4:36 PM on September 28, 2016

« Older Fencing short story?   |   The opposite of energy drinks Newer »