What's a really good Twitter list to follow live during the debate?

I follow very few pundits or specifically political people on Twitter, but just saw Bill Maher on YouTube saying he's going to livetweet the debates. It really made me wish I had stocked a list of the best people to follow for fun, incisive, weird, good live commentary on the debate. But, now I don't have time for that. What public list(s) should I subscribe to?
posted by Gotanda to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

I like MSNBC's Chris Hayes (chrislhayes)
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 4:56 AM on September 26, 2016 [3 favorites]

Charlie Pierce (@esqpolitics)
posted by Sweetie Darling at 5:06 AM on September 26, 2016 [2 favorites]

Ed O'Keefe (@edatpost) tweets in English but often provides good perspective into Latino views. (Not so visible in his timeline right now, but definitely was there during past debates and I expect it again tonight.)
posted by alms at 5:52 AM on September 26, 2016 [1 favorite]

I'm guessing comedian Patton Oswalt will be live-tweeting the debate.
posted by bluecore at 6:32 AM on September 26, 2016

Slate usually has an "Instant Spin Room" that features an embedded auto refreshing thingymabobber of quality-curated twitter feeds from high-profile pundits from the left and the right -- set up streaming side by side. I love it, although I'm clearly inept at describing what it actually is.
posted by pinkacademic at 7:31 AM on September 26, 2016 [2 favorites]

What I do is search for the most-used hashtag -- it won't be hard to find. If you type #debates or something like that, some choices will pop up. I'm going to be watching that. I've done it in previous debates. I end up going back and forth between "Top" and "Live" (which are tabs at the top of the column).

The great thing about following the hashtag is that you get to see what people all across the spectrum are thinking rather than just people you agree with.

It's like watching the debate with America.

(It looks like the hashtags will be #debates and #debates2016.)
posted by OurOwnMrK at 7:52 AM on September 26, 2016

@darth is hilarious; so is Josh Barro (@jbarro). David Frum and Andrew Coyne are also good. Vic Berger should have some good stuff tomorrow (@VicBergerIV).
posted by My Dad at 7:53 AM on September 26, 2016

Sadly, @pmarca has gone offline, but he would be good to follow, too.

Erin Gloria Ryan is very funny too.
posted by bluecore at 8:49 AM on September 26, 2016 [1 favorite]

Sara Benincasa (previously on MeFi) has said she's live-tweeting, which could be comedically epic.
posted by DrAstroZoom at 9:53 AM on September 26, 2016 [1 favorite]

Here is my politics list. It's got voices from across the political spectrum, but weighted to the left and with print media writers. I've kept it updated during this cycle.
posted by ajr at 11:04 AM on September 26, 2016 [2 favorites]

« Older What are good podcasts for discovering music?   |   Do you reckon I drink too much? Newer »