7 Keto DHEA, anyone have any experience? Mine is awesome so far!

Anyone have any experience (short or long term) with the supplement 7 Keto DHEA? I just took it for the first time and had such an exciting, amazing day, wanted to see if others had similar reactions etc.

Ok so basically a bit of background on myself,
38 year old asian, fit, normal bmi, no previous history of drug abuse etc, normal blood pressure, don't do a lot of cardio but have about 16 percent body fat. High stress, probably have adhd as well as bouts of depression from time to time.

Long story short I read somewhere (can't remember which forum) about the positive benefits of supplementing with 7 keto dhea, but dismissed it since it was on Dr. Oz and figured it was some new fad like many etc. Anyhow I decided to do some research on it since after reading so many seemingly objective and non paid reviews on various vendor sites (amazon, gnc, vitamin shoppe, etc) many people have had good results. My main goal was to simply help fuel my workouts. I enjoy working out, (well the feeling AFTER Im done) but like many have had problems getting to the gym out of laziness etc. So long story short after taking 100mg of 7 keto dhea today this morning, this is what I experienced.

-Took the pill, within a hour started feeling very "sunny" and pleasant, thought it was the weather but it was a subtle sense of happiness. Decided to get my work done that I was procrastinating, finished a minor to do list (Which I had been avoiding), wholeheartedly went to the gym after work (and was actually excited which was weird) and had one of my best workouts where I actually pushed myself to a higher intensity. (I usually take long breaks and waste time in between sets on my smartphone etc). Also what was weird was I didn't mind how crowded it was, I was in such a great mood, not crazy euphoric but more like at peace and energized... Anyhow after my workout I ate a healthy dinner and didn't gorge on sugary desserts (I have a sweet tooth) then went home and read a book I had been putting off, called 3 friends on the phone (im not usually a phone person) and then called a few other friends I had lost touch with and had not talked to in years! I was meaning to contact them but never had the urge or it felt kinda weird, but this drug basically lowers my inhibition, makes me energized, allows me actually WANT to do things I've been putting off and avoiding, etc, is this normal? The brand I bought, (jarrows, which was available at a local retail Vitamin Shoppe, as well as whole foods) recommended taking 2 a day, but 1 was so powerful and lasted from 10am until now (its 3am pacific time here) and it was such an amazing day. I feel very happy and positive and fearless. Not to scare anyone since I probably sound like a crack addict (as I have tried ecstasy in my younger years and it does feel like a mini ecstacsy trip but more in control) but just wondering if anyone else has taken this or can at least somewhat explain what dhea actually does to a non science/physiology person such as myself who simply gave it whirl and now honestly had a breakthrough day full of productivity, peace and love. Gosh I sound like a hippie and recognize if I take this consistently these severely obvious positive effects will lessen, but if it can just give me the gumption to get my ass to the gym consistently then it will be a miracle drug to me. Bottom line it made my day so much more fun and I wasn't in a bad place or depressed before I tried it. I admit this depiction in probably seems manic, and yes I had been prescribed Ritalin for my adhd a few years back and remember what that felt like, and yes this does feel a bit similar without the eventual comedown.

Anyhow just curious is anyone would be kind and informed enough to explain how a supplement designed to speed up your metabolism is giving me a hybrid feel of caffeine, extascy, and ritalin and made my day so much more exciting and interesting?
Also, although Im not one to peddle any supplement since we all have different body chemistry and even supplements that are available over the counter need to be monitored safely, perhaps this will allow someone else out there to try it out and also reap the obvious benefits that I have so far! (in one day of course lol).
posted by HonestAsian to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Not recommended if you considering participating in the Olympics; it's on the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) list of a prohibited anabolic agents.
posted by Mister Bijou at 3:47 AM on September 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Oh wow, didnt know that! I guess even though it's "legal" the energetic and focus effects create an unfair advantage for athletes, etc.
posted by HonestAsian at 3:51 AM on September 22, 2016

I've taken it, for completely different reasons, for months at a time and probably at higher doses (it is prescribed to help with infertility, no it did not work in my case). Yes it did initially seem to give me a bit of an energy boost. That seemed to wear off, or I got used to it. I put on a fair bit of weight, although I can't assume this was directly attributable to the DHEA.

Do you realise that DHEA is potentially really messing with your hormonal levels, and that noone really understands how it will effect an individual? The theory as I understand it in laypersons terms is that DHEA is a precursor hormone to both estrogen and testosterone, so that if you are deficient in one it *might* help you produce more of that hormone. Except it's never been proven and when it comes down to the individual who the hell knows how it is interacting with your personal endocrine system.

And take it from a veteran of 7 IVF cycles over 3 years. You really do not want to fuck with your endocrine system without good reason. There are no free highs.
posted by arha at 4:26 AM on September 22, 2016 [2 favorites]

Also worth mentioning, supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA. Several independent investigations have shown that supplements often do not include the ingredients advertised and many include illegal or potentially dangerous ingredients.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/02/03/sidebar-whats-in-those-supplements/?referer=
posted by forkisbetter at 4:30 AM on September 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Wow thanks for the thoughtful replies. After reading over my long and overly drawn out description of my experience thus far, it seems I didn't even bother to mention I'm a male, if that makes any difference. I only got 4 hours of sleep but had no problems waking up and am back at work still in a mini euphoria, but good point about no free highs. What goes up must come down right? I guess like any supplement, you have to do your research and air on the side of caution, but at the same time weigh the risks and benefits etc. I don't expect these feelings to last but it's been very interesting to say the least. I got tested for low testosterone a a year ago and I was within range for my age range so still not exactly sure of what the science behind this and what the "primary" goal of this supplement was intended for but I'll do more research as messing with your endocrine system is indeed scary. I read that a lot of people with thyroid issues take 7 keto to help them out and in some cases it's replaced their prescription drugs which is pretty extreme of a result. Most reviews online from users seem to be middle aged men who want to either increase their libido or speed up their metabolism, not necessarily the increased energy and happiness effect that I've experienced thus far.
posted by HonestAsian at 7:48 AM on September 22, 2016

Just to clarify, supplements are indeed regulated by the FDA. However, they are not regulated as strictly as drugs with respect to safety and efficacy. Generally speaking, manufacturers can simply assert, but need not prove, their safety and efficacy before going to market. Sometimes it has happened that supplements have had to be withdrawn from the market due to serious adverse events -- see Hydroxycut, for example. I don't know about you, but I -- speaking as someone who works for an ethical supplement manufacturer -- would not like to be among the first wave of customers for a new supplement.
posted by pH Indicating Socks at 7:58 AM on September 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Forgot to mention something important -- when an ingredient has not been marketed before 1993, the FDA requires a new dietary ingredient submission (NDI) to prove its safety (but not efficacy). Here is the NDI for 7 Keto DHEA, so you can evaluate it for yourself.
posted by pH Indicating Socks at 8:05 AM on September 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Came to make the clarification that pH Indicating Socks already made (although this might be changing; FDA is revising its regulatory guidance for assessing food and food contact substances, and that includes questioning again whether supplements should be regulated more like drugs since they're marketed more like drugs on today's market). As pH Indicating Socks notes, supplement manufacturers only have to demonstrate (minimally) that their product is possibly safe for people to consume. Those manufacturers don't have to show a shred of evidence to support their product claims, because falling under the "supplement" classification means that (under the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act) they're not required to do so. They can make wild, suggestive claims with no oversight. This is really a black eye on DSHEA, and the wiki entry has a hefty section dedicated to criticism of it for this very reason.

I'd further add that FDA doesn't check supplements for "safety" per se. Rather, regulations say that manufacturers have to tell FDA that they are convinced their product is safe, and that's it. In FDA's own words, "FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed." FDA can only act to take a supplement off the market if evidence emerges that it's actively causing harm to humans, or tests positive for active drug ingredients, and so on (which happens all the time).

In the end, the companies manufacturing this product and marketing it as a supplement either lack the evidence to support a significant, safe, human-relevant health effect (required to market a drug) or are happy to spend less money developing, manufacturing, and marketing a product using suggestive drug-like language. The law requires supplements to point this out on their labels. I looked up the Jarrow product label, and it's littered with asterisks that point to the statement in bold letters that "these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration..."

The shortest answer is that you may have felt something from taking this substance, but you also likely experienced a positive placebo effect.

(I'm a toxicologist working in drug and supplement regulation, not just a blowhard... I think?)

after reading so many seemingly objective and non paid reviews

This is a sandtrap. Product reviews are problematic, uncontrolled, and almost entirely unverified. Some advice from FDA:

Be a savvy supplement user. Here’s how:

When searching for supplements on the internet, use noncommercial sites (e.g. NIH, FDA, USDA) rather than doing blind searches.

Watch out for false statements like “works better than [a prescription drug],” “totally safe,” or has “no side effects.”

Be aware that the term natural doesn’t always means safe.

Ask your healthcare provider for help in distinguishing between reliable and questionable information.
posted by late afternoon dreaming hotel at 9:15 AM on September 22, 2016 [3 favorites]

I also would note that a single day's experience of a drug says nothing about how it will affect you long term. Taking prednisone (as an example) for various medical conditions also gives me an initial rush of energy and euphoria, but is incredibly damaging to take for long term use, even when it's for a prescribed medical condition. So I think you're jumping to some unwarranted conclusions here.
posted by MsMolly at 10:00 AM on September 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Thanks for clarifying about FDA regulation. What I probably should have said is that dietary supplements are so loosely regulated that they may as well not be considered regulated at all. Cause you know, the manufacturer swears their products are totally legit! I have a friend who works as an FDA inspector and serious horror stories- like, this one guy was selling vials of distilled cow spine gloop he cooked up in his kitchen horror stories.

Seriously, talk to your health care provider first before taking any supplements.
posted by forkisbetter at 4:44 AM on September 23, 2016

« Older Must... Force Down Food   |   Another grieving process question Newer »