I'll probably try it anyway, but...

Should I eat it? I found a bag of mini babybel cheeses in my fridge. (Like this.) They have a best-before date of.... well... uh... January. (Hey, at least it's still 2016!). They're wrapped in plastic, and then in their distinctive wax. I unwrapped one - it looks totally fine. I want to eat this. I mean... it's cheese. If it's not mouldy its good, right? But... January. Would you eat it?
posted by cgg to Food & Drink (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

How does it smell? I'd probably give it a nibble. If it tastes and smells okay, I'd go for it.
posted by bunderful at 8:49 PM on September 20, 2016 [1 favorite]

Looks fine? Eat it. It's cheese, yo.
posted by so fucking future at 8:49 PM on September 20, 2016 [10 favorites]

I would eat it without hesitation unless the taste or texture seems off. That stuff keeps a long time. Best before sometimes means that it actually tastes best before and sometimes just means that the manufacturer wants you to toss the older stuff.
posted by metahawk at 8:51 PM on September 20, 2016 [8 favorites]

Cheese is already off! As Stephen Fry said on QI, cheese is milk gone off big time stylee.

Enjoy.
posted by zadcat at 9:08 PM on September 20, 2016 [3 favorites]

I would 100% eat that shizz. Any kind of processed, individually-wrapped cheese lasts freaking forever.
posted by julthumbscrew at 9:10 PM on September 20, 2016 [3 favorites]

Omg don't eat it!
Send it to me, I will eat it for you.
posted by St. Peepsburg at 9:12 PM on September 20, 2016 [15 favorites]

Babybel is actual cheese not a processed "cheese" product.

I'd still eat it if there was no mould.
posted by Mitheral at 9:14 PM on September 20, 2016

I ate the cheese. It was totally cheesy good. But because of y'all i'm not quite as worried about any sort of related gastronomical distress this evening -- thanks!
posted by cgg at 9:21 PM on September 20, 2016 [7 favorites]

I ate some under similar circumstances. They seemed to taste a little waxier than usual, but were otherwise fine.
posted by ktkt at 9:23 PM on September 20, 2016

I once ate a similar type of cheese (also sealed in plastic and partially covered in wax) that was over a year past the expiry date and it was totally fine. No mold = no problem when it comes to hard cheeses. Doubly so when covered in wax.
posted by randomnity at 10:18 PM on September 20, 2016

"Cheese is milk's leap towards immortality."

Until we eat it.
posted by clew at 11:36 PM on September 20, 2016 [10 favorites]

Cheese-wise, it's very obvious if it's not good. Mould that shouldn't be there, or really dried up, or the wrong colour, or the wrong smell. Use By date on cheese is just a legal thing, the real Use By is the above indicators. With hard cheese, you can usually just cut off the outside parts and the inside will still be good.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 1:28 AM on September 21, 2016

What you have there is in any case not a Use By date, but a Best Before date. Different beast altogether.
posted by flabdablet at 4:27 AM on September 22, 2016

« Older Help me choose a tablet for reading comics   |   Attending a Concert: Beanplating Edition Newer »