Quick Pickled Veggies - how long do they last?
September 18, 2016 7:23 PM   Subscribe

I quick pickled some radishes and daikon about a month ago (so, no canning, no water bath) and I'm wondering if it's still good. I'm finding conflicting responses. Some say 2 weeks, some say 1 month. Pickling enthusiasts, what is the correct answer? I'd taste it (there's no mold) but I don't want to give myself botulism.
posted by onecircleaday to Food & Drink (16 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I'm usually a "would eat, not gonna comment though because I don't want blood on my hands" kind of gal. In this case, though, I wouldn't eat. A month is a long time, and quick pickling is not a super scientific process.
posted by stoneandstar at 7:27 PM on September 18, 2016 [3 favorites]

Have you kept them in the fridge the whole time? If so, I'd eat them.
posted by bunderful at 7:27 PM on September 18, 2016 [1 favorite]

Yes, I've kept them in the fridge the whole time.
posted by onecircleaday at 7:27 PM on September 18, 2016

What was your process for pickling? What did you put in the brine?
posted by rockindata at 7:45 PM on September 18, 2016

I don't think it's worth the risk.
posted by oxisos at 10:21 PM on September 18, 2016 [2 favorites]

If high in vinegar and/or salt and not fuzzy, I'd eat it.
posted by kjs4 at 10:22 PM on September 18, 2016 [4 favorites]

Botulism isn't a risk for quick pickles.

Basically if they aren't fermenting (fizzy) they are fine. However you might find the taste/texture unappealing.
posted by JPD at 6:32 AM on September 19, 2016 [4 favorites]

I'd eat it, no questions asked.
posted by fiercecupcake at 7:10 AM on September 19, 2016 [1 favorite]

I've eaten stuff I quick-pickled with a sweet brine, after, like, 2 years. It was stored in the fridge the whole time. I eat quick-pickled stuff that's 2-3 months old on a regular basis, including radishes.
posted by BrashTech at 7:20 AM on September 19, 2016 [4 favorites]

Yeah, I've eaten fridge pickles 6+ months out, and I'd eat these in a heartbeat.
posted by craven_morhead at 8:27 AM on September 19, 2016 [2 favorites]

Thanks, all, for the answers! They were made using this recipe:

1 cup plus 4 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
2 cups warm water, (warm enough to easily dissolve sugar)
posted by onecircleaday at 8:59 AM on September 19, 2016

We can cucumbers, beans, carrots, snap peas, etc just like that each year. We call it Refigerator Canning. We then keep those in the fridge and eat them for months. They're delicious.
posted by humboldt32 at 9:45 AM on September 19, 2016

As a quick pickler, unless I actively smelled/tasted something foul or saw mold or other unidentifiable matter in with the pickles, I would keep eating them.
posted by koucha at 1:29 PM on September 19, 2016

Yes, I'd eat. My pickled onions are very similar. They last a good while.
posted by shoesietart at 4:38 PM on September 19, 2016

They're fine and as tasty as when you made them, as long as they've been refrigerated. I speak from extensive experience.
posted by desuetude at 4:58 PM on September 19, 2016

Have eaten fridge pickles and various other fermented fridge products after they've been in the fridge for a year. I'm still alive, and the pickles were still pretty good.
posted by bluebelle at 7:15 PM on September 19, 2016

« Older Hamilton - Still worth it?   |   Help me find compression stockings to wear while... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.