Using circles to present data results—is this called something? What?

At my job, we use a reporting tool that returns quantitative results (from a feedback form) using circles—an empty or “lighter” circle, which is actually a circle with a small black dot in the center indicates a lower value, while a darker circle (partially filled with a large black dot or entirely filled) represents a higher value. What is this graph called?

Not even sure if it is a "graph"—I have no research background and have no idea (my apologies for being so uninformed). I’ve poked around online and have ruled out the Harvey Balls mode of presenting partially-filled circles. Any more googling on “dark circles” and “data” gets me all kinds of hooey about scientifically super-magical eye creams.

Researchers of MeFi, please help!
posted by dreamphone to Education (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Do you mean something like the Harvey Balls style of visual representation, or perhaps the Consumer Reports variation of it?
posted by JoeZydeco at 6:28 PM on September 15, 2016

Not Harvey Balls not the Consumer Reports variation. The circles look ether empty, entirely filled, filled with a tiny bulls-eye, or with a larger bulls-eye.
posted by dreamphone at 6:32 PM on September 15, 2016 [1 favorite]

Can you post an image or screencap?
posted by yeahlikethat at 7:39 PM on September 15, 2016 [1 favorite]

This is not some kind of Venn diagram?
posted by sammyo at 7:45 PM on September 15, 2016

I think you're referring to a type of "bullseye bubble chart" or "comparative bubble chart"?

Lotsa problems with those if you're not careful (e.g. double the radius = 4x the area, etc). Of course, like many charts, they're often (ab)used for that exact reason…
posted by Pinback at 7:46 PM on September 15, 2016 [4 favorites]

Thanks Pinback, that must be it. I was under the impression that it was named after a person, but I must have imagined it. We use it on a per-form basis only, just to see what issues are most bothersome to our clients, which feels like an effective use of the chart. I can see where problems would arise with reporting if it were used to report out on a larger set of data.
posted by dreamphone at 4:14 AM on September 16, 2016

The thing named after a person is a Venn diagram, which is not what you are looking for here.
posted by TinWhistle at 6:41 AM on September 16, 2016

« Older Nana had a tetradrachm   |   Bike odometer/computer mystery Newer »