Special pickle-themed anniversary

Remember the engagement BBQ? Well today is my and my husband's third anniversary! WOO! We joked that a third anniversary is probably the pickle anniversary and that they save all the expensive fancy stuff for the fives and tens of anniversaries. So now I want to do something special and pickle themed for him this weekend. I only have a couple days and limited means to pull this together, but in the green I trust...

We have spent the day emailing each other pictures of pickles and we're probably going to go out for dinner or something tonight, but this weekend I'd like to do something surprising and pickle-themed to doubly celebrate our frankly kick-ass marriage. He does so much for me and has given me so much that I really want to do SOMETHING.

Obvious answers of gifting him a jar of pickles or something are too, well, obvious! I'm looking for something a little more creative and surprising and awesome for him, like perhaps I could make him a full 3 course meal and have them all involve pickles in some way, INCLUDING the dessert? I can't imagine any desserts actually include pickles, so maybe it would have to be pickle shaped?

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
posted by PuppetMcSockerson to Grab Bag (22 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You can pickle fruits. ex: Pickled Pears, grapes
posted by czytm at 9:53 AM on September 14, 2016

Have you seen the yodeling pickle?
posted by BoscosMom at 9:57 AM on September 14, 2016

Pickle juice cocktails, if you drink.
posted by Gymnopedist at 9:57 AM on September 14, 2016 [2 favorites]

arg...came in to say christmas pickle as well...also, the modern list of anniversaries says the third is glass (or crystal) so it works double. (The traditional list says leather for the third...sorry, but your on your own for googling up a 'leather pickle')
posted by sexyrobot at 10:04 AM on September 14, 2016 [1 favorite]

Traditional Vermont Sugar on Snow is served with plain donuts and dill pickles. If you don't have snow, shaved ice will do.
posted by baseballpajamas at 10:08 AM on September 14, 2016

I don't know why, but I have this pickle lighter.
posted by Duffington at 10:09 AM on September 14, 2016

Are you near a Trader Joe's? They have spicy pickle flavored potato chips right now.
posted by heurtebise at 10:44 AM on September 14, 2016 [3 favorites]

also if you drink, dill pickle juice is a terrific chaser for all kinda of alcohol shots.
posted by lescour at 10:48 AM on September 14, 2016

Seconding the Trader Joe's spicy pickled-flavored potato chips (they also used to have pickle-flavored popcorn, maybe still do). So good.
posted by AwkwardPause at 10:53 AM on September 14, 2016

You could watch the Danny Aiello movie from 1993, The Pickle, about an ambitious filmmaker who gets stuck making a godawful special effects vehicle for money.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 10:54 AM on September 14, 2016

These pickled grapes from Smitten Kitchen, served on top of vanilla ice cream has made pickle-haters turn into pickle-fans.
posted by PearlRose at 11:21 AM on September 14, 2016 [2 favorites]

You could watch Crossing Delancey, in which Amy Irving reluctantly falls in love with a pickle seller, and give him a lovely photo in a pickled wood frame (a fairly common finish, you wouldn't have to wait on the one to arrive from that Etsy vendor).

You could also apply a pickled finish to make another house gift, like a lovely wooden box or candle sticks.

You could also play a pickle-themed game, or, of course, have a nice morning at the farmers' market and then make some quick refrigerator pickles
posted by amtho at 11:28 AM on September 14, 2016 [1 favorite]

This is slightly less obvious than a regular jar of pickles, but you could get him a special jar of pickles... invisible pickles. A friend and I saw a jar of invisible pickles - beautifully labelled, might I add - and it has become a running joke/gag gift between the two of us. Silly and playful.
posted by nathaole at 12:57 PM on September 14, 2016

Make Kool-Aid pickles!
posted by sevenyearlurk at 1:21 PM on September 14, 2016

Also a fine day to read "Sell out" by Simon Rich, though admittedly reading may not be a fun couple activity.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 1:29 PM on September 14, 2016

Pickle-flavour popping candy.
posted by terretu at 2:36 PM on September 14, 2016

Skankin' Pickle dance party?
posted by prize bull octorok at 3:17 PM on September 14, 2016

I think you need to grill burgers and eat them with the sourest dill pickle slices you can find on them. When you serve them, hand him a card (or maybe make a banner?) that says "I love you like a BBQ burger, with pickles."

Also, dill pickle juice is awesome in beer. Add about 1/2 an ounce. I'm not joking.
posted by OrangeDisk at 4:09 PM on September 14, 2016 [1 favorite]

The greatest pair of pajamas I ever had were somehow Vlasic pickle brand. Couldn't find them online. But-- pickle pun attire?
posted by athirstforsalt at 6:02 PM on September 14, 2016

Pickle vodka works nicely in Bloody Caesars, but for the love of Pete, don't eat the pickle at the bottom!!!
posted by joelhunt at 12:33 PM on September 15, 2016

Potato salad is FANTASTIC with chopped dill pickles and you can use some of the dill pickle juice in the dressing. This one is yummy!
posted by bluebelle at 7:18 PM on September 19, 2016

« Older Flight departure/arrival times   |   Any tips to not hate birthing class? Or can we... Newer »