90s CanCon Celtic Trad

I'm looking for a particular version of "Siúil a Rún" that got a lot of play on MuchMusic in the early '90s.

It may have also been titled "Shule a Run" or "Walk My Love." I know it wasn't either the Clannad, the Celtic Woman, or the Anuna versions. The video was black and white, or very washed-out grainy '90s-style colour, and it aired a lot on MuchMusic back then. It was performed in a quicker tempo than most versions. This has been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now.
posted by TheWhiteSkull to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Is it the Lord of the Dance version? Sula Ruin on my liner notes.
posted by platypus of the universe at 6:59 PM on September 13, 2016

It's on the first Solas album (which I think was early/mid 90's) as "Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier"
posted by aimedwander at 7:12 PM on September 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

No, it's neither the Lord of the Dance version, nor the Solas version, although it might also be called some variation on "Johnny Has Gone For A Soldier."

This is the problem with traditional music.
posted by TheWhiteSkull at 7:30 PM on September 13, 2016

The Reeltime version is closer, but not it.
posted by TheWhiteSkull at 7:32 PM on September 13, 2016

As a folkie *and* an avid MuchMusic watcher in the 90s, I have no memory of a video version of Siúil a Rún that got a lot of play then. However, Much did play a wildly popular, washed-out, grainy, 90s-style video for a trad tune performed quicker than usual that begins with a fiddle line just like the Reeltime tune posted above: Ashley MacIsaac and Mary Jane Lamond's Sleepy Maggie. Any chance that some memory wires have been crossed here?
posted by Hellgirl at 7:51 PM on September 13, 2016 [3 favorites]

Hellgirl - I was thinking the same thing.
posted by philip-random at 8:03 PM on September 13, 2016

I'm glad I'm not the only one, philip-random! TheWhiteSkull, do you remember anything else about the video? Any sense of what the singer/players looked like? Male or female, for example? Do you remember any instruments that appeared? Indoor or outdoor scenes? The number of celtic-y tunes that would have been played in heavy rotation on Much is promisingly small - I bet we can narrow this down by focusing on the video details.
posted by Hellgirl at 8:07 PM on September 13, 2016

I first was exposed to that song through the Connie Dover version, but that's really slow.

I don't know if this is helpful or just maddening, but I heard someone sing the version you're describing (fast, with the "walk, walk, walk, my love" chorus) at a house party in Ireland last spring. So you're remembering it accurately.
posted by Nibbly Fang at 8:13 PM on September 13, 2016

OK, it's definitely not "Sleepy Maggie, although it is contemporary, and the video style is similar- I think the artists weren't really featured in the video, and there were vague images of coastlines and things. The chorus was definitely in Gaelic and not English, although the verses were English. For a while I thought it was Kate & Anna McGarrigle during their Pierre Marchand period, but I can find no evidence of them having recorded that song.

BONUS QUESTION: There was also a psych-folk version of "The Trees They Grow So High" / "Young But Daily Is A Growing" that also got played on Much a lot in the early '90s (mostly for CanCon reasons). If anyone can recall the artist, or point me to the video, that would be amazing, too.
posted by TheWhiteSkull at 8:38 PM on September 13, 2016

Skylark with singer Len Graham has a gorgeous version of Suil a Rua on their album All of It. Faster than Connie Dover's but wouldn't call it fast in general.

The Trees They Do Grow High might be Alan Stivell's version.
posted by mulcahy at 9:11 PM on September 13, 2016

« Older Croton Poisoning in Dogs?   |   What is this odd little figurine? Newer »