More books like Jane Smiley's Some Luck trilogy?

Bookfilter: Help me find more books with the qualities I love about Jane Smiley's Some Luck trilogy!

I just finished devouring Jane Smiley's trilogy and I am desperate to find more books like it. Here are the things I enjoyed:

--Historical sweep
--Watching multiple generations of a single family grow and thrive
--A loosely drawn plot
--Demonstrations of how historical circumstances impact individual lives
and --a general lack of dramatic events, with more of a focus on the detail of day to day experience.

Are there any other books out there that can replicate the feelings I had reading this trilogy?
posted by zeusianfog to Writing & Language (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I really enjoyed that trilogy as well!
You might like the "Immigrants" series by Howard Fast. I remember reading them over a summer in the early 1980s and being completely consumed by them. I think there are 4 or 5 books and you definitely need to read them in order. They trace a family over several generations, and historical events definitely play a role.
posted by bookmammal at 5:34 PM on September 9, 2016

Steinbeck's East of Eden
posted by Triumphant Muzak at 5:39 PM on September 9, 2016

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. It covers the African and American sides of a family from the time of the slave trade through the present.
posted by matildaben at 6:41 PM on September 9, 2016

A Woman of Independent Means
posted by Daily Alice at 7:48 PM on September 9, 2016 [1 favorite]

Herman Wouk - Winds of War and War and Remembrance.
posted by theora55 at 8:03 PM on September 9, 2016

"Wanderers Eastward, Wanderers West" by Kathleen Windsor

An oldie but goodie I found one rainy day on a friend's mother's book shelf. I enjoyed it, but critics at the time didn't really warm to it.
posted by james33 at 6:30 AM on September 10, 2016

Oh yes--A Woman of Independent Means mentioned above is a GREAT book! I've actually re-read that one several times over the years.
posted by bookmammal at 8:04 AM on September 10, 2016

If you're not already familiar with Jane Smiley's back catalog, you might try The Greenlanders or Horse Heaven. The former has the generational sweep, but also many references to Viking sagas, which may or may not be what you're looking for. The latter intertwines stories around horses.
posted by yarntheory at 5:48 PM on September 11, 2016

« Older Weekend getaway near Los Angeles and Santa Ana?   |   How can I improve my university marks for honours... Newer »