Nutritional response testing any reviews?

Has anyone had nutrional resonse testing? Does it work for you?

I went for testing yesterday by nutrionist because of stomach issues. I was hoping to get a good diet and some help to keep the diet.

She did give me a diet but the test of raising your arm while vials being placed on you felt quacky. She said she could feel the difference of how my arm reacted but I couldn't.

I thought she would say I needed a few supplements but not hundreds of dollars of them and so many. I could tell she was upset when I said I would think about it, she said she was busy and if I didn't want supplements she could recommend life coach.

Something in my gut is saying do the diet, eat healthy but skip the fancy supplements. What do you all think?

I take now a probiotic supplement and multiple vitamin.
posted by oceanlady to Health & Fitness (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It feels quacky because it is quacky. This is not science or medicine, just bullshit.

"Nutritionist" means nothing, literally anyone can call themselves that. Go see a properly registered dietician, one with scientific training, and start from there.
posted by shelleycat at 6:35 AM on September 9, 2016 [14 favorites]

Any "medical" practitioner who tries to sell you things is not likely to be acting in your best interest. Your gut instinct is on track here. I would also be very wary of a nutritionist who wants to refer you to a life coach to help with your stomach issues. In your shoes I would try the diet, since you already put in the time and money to get this person's input, but if it doesn't work, seek out a second opinion from someone who is more professional.
posted by something something at 6:36 AM on September 9, 2016

(I have a PhD in a nutrition-related field for what it's worth)
posted by shelleycat at 6:36 AM on September 9, 2016 [3 favorites]

It looks like "nutritional response" is "applied kinesiology" under a different name. Applied kinesiology (AK) has been debunked by multiple studies. A short summary from the wikipedia page:
According to their guidelines on allergy diagnostic testing, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology stated there is “no evidence of diagnostic validity” of applied kinesiology,[2] and another study has shown that as an evaluative method, AK "is no more useful than random guessing",[3] and the American Cancer Society has said that "scientific evidence does not support the claim that applied kinesiology can diagnose or treat cancer or other illness".
Personally, I would be suspicious about the expensive supplements, too. If you have the money to spend, perhaps you could try a different specialist instead (maybe ask your GP for a recommendation?).
posted by ourobouros at 6:39 AM on September 9, 2016 [4 favorites]

I had this, under the name "applied kinesiology", sprung on me when I saw a dodgy "naturopath" years ago about some issues that my doctors were baffled by. It was aggressive and very upsetting. As others have said above, it is a scam with no supporting evidence. Good for you for resisting the pressure to buy - it can be difficult. Go and see either your GP, or a registered dietitian.
posted by une_heure_pleine at 7:27 AM on September 9, 2016 [1 favorite]

This is total bunk. Have you seen a doctor?
I know someone who did this and was told she had various food sensitivities. She eventually went to a real doctor and had real allergy testing. She found out she had several allergies.

See a doctor and/or a registered dietitian. That means the person has "R.D." after his or her name. As shelleycat pointed out, the term "nutritionist" has no legal meaning.
posted by FencingGal at 7:32 AM on September 9, 2016

While reading your post, I wanted to say "This sounds just like the flaky kinesiologist I went to!"

After reading the other comments, I am confident in saying this is a bunch of nonsense.

The kinesiologist I visited had me take my shirt off and he handed me a can of green beans. He pushed down on my arm and told me to resist, then said "Aha. You have a sinus infection." He then sold me some foul-smelling (and -tasting) supplements made from beef kidneys and sheep brains. They did nothing.
posted by tacodave at 2:33 PM on September 9, 2016

Thanks for all the answers. I thought about it some more then cancelled my next appt and decided to follow the diet part mostly cutting out wheat, dairy, sugar, booze, soy for a month.

I went to her because it was a hour appt and regular doctors don't have as much time to go over your diet. I will send a message to my doctors nurse and ask their advice. They also do supplements as well as regular drugs if you need them but only if needed and only a few.
posted by oceanlady at 11:30 AM on September 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

« Older Help me sell my brand-new modern-design lamp...   |   Kindergartener skid marks, should I worry/act or... Newer »