Horror novels more creepy than bloody?

Mefites, lend me your collective bibliographic wisdom. I'm looking for successful/popular YA novels published in the last 5-7 years that embody creepy/atmospheric horror, as opposed to bloody/gory/slasher horror. If "Anna Dressed in Blood" is on the bloody end of the spectrum, for example, what's on the creepy end?
posted by Shoggoth to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 16 users marked this as a favorite

I asked a somewhat similar question last year, and was also forwarded to a question from 2014. Might be useful! :)
posted by Drosera at 12:08 PM on September 3, 2016

The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma
Cuckoo Song and The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge
Slasher Boys and Monster Girls anthology (some are more of the bloody variety, but there are a few good creepy ones in there, especially the first one by Nova Ren Suma)
posted by wsquared at 2:17 PM on September 3, 2016

This wasn't necessarily popular (I'd never heard of it until my sister recommended it to me), but I loved Bird Box. (Also isn't specifically listed as YA that I could see, but I think it straddles the line between YA and adult. Teen-me would have loved it, and adult-me did love it!)
posted by firei at 4:16 PM on September 3, 2016 [2 favorites]

My kiddos love "Bad Girls Don't Die" by Katie Alender. Seconding "The Walls Around Us", holy crap. I thought that "The Nest" (Oppel) and "Tell the Story to Its End" (Clark) were both deeply creepy in similar ways, though I've noticed that my students don't always agree.
posted by goodbyewaffles at 4:53 PM on September 3, 2016

Oh, and I mean, obviously "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children". and "Asylum", by Madeleine Roux, which I don't remember being particularly gory (not on the level of "Anna" anyway)
posted by goodbyewaffles at 4:55 PM on September 3, 2016

Thanks, everyone -- these suggestions have been really helpful!
posted by Shoggoth at 6:04 AM on September 4, 2016

I just finished reading Bone Gap by Laura Ruby and this hits the more creepy than gory note.

Also, Chime by Franny Billingsly

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

And maybe Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgewick
posted by carrioncomfort at 7:56 AM on September 21, 2016

« Older NYC Foodies: Dinner recommendations for solo...   |   Do you offer a reward to someone who finds your... Newer »