PhotoshopFilter: Need to resize and add borders to an image.

Because the original aspect ratio of the image (8x12) is larger than the desired consumer print size (8.5x11 or 8x10), I'm having trouble formatting a smaller image size with equal borders, to then lab it out. And I don't want to crop the image. Please, help.

The image size is 12.667 x 19 inches.
I do not want to crop out any information, and I would like to format the image to 8.5x11 or 8x10, as this is the desired print size the customers want. I've tried working with resizing the image, converting the image to a smart object and placing the image in a larger canvas file, but I cannot find the best method. The ideal result would have the image resized with adequate and equal borders, making it easier for folks to frame it up. Or, what's the compromise?

Many of the Youtube videos and discussions do not point to this particular issue.
If it's a matter of trimming a little off the edges to make the ratio work better, I would like a bit of guidance. Is there a rule of thumb? A chart to reference? A good video or article to go by? I love specifics. (For instance, one compromise crop works out to 17.98 x 12.667 inches)

Boy, do I wish I could simply make the prints at home.
Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
posted by captainsohler to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If you want an equal border on all sides then this is really a math problem, not a photoshop problem. You have a photo that is 8x12 and want a photo that is, say, 8.5x11. So you want to add a border of "x inches" around each side.

Therefore, (8+x) / (12+x) = 8.5/11
see what I mean? Then if you do some algebra, if I haven't made any mistakes, x=5.6". So, go to the resize canvas feature, click the tile that has it expand equally on all sides, and choose a width of 13.6 (which will give you a height of 17.6.

The use the image resize feature - make sure you have it set to not change the number of pixels, just the pixels per inch, to set it to 8.5x11.

I think this is not going to be very satisfactory, though, because that is adding a huge margin. I think you're going to have to trim some.
posted by RustyBrooks at 7:06 AM on September 3, 2016 [1 favorite]

BTW the "easy" way to do this is as follows...

One of your dimensions needs to be trimmed. In the case of 8x10 obviously you just need to trim 2 inches off the height.

For 8.5x11 the intuitive way to do it is to rescale the image (again, no resampling, just changing the PPI) so that it's width is 8.5. Make sure the width and height are linked so that it maintains the same ratio.

So now you'll have an image that is, in this case, 12.75" tall. To get this to 8.5x11" you trim off 1.75" from the height

(all the above assumes your width is 8 and your height is 11, swap width and height if it's the other way)
posted by RustyBrooks at 7:11 AM on September 3, 2016 [1 favorite]

And sorry to be posting so much, but, if you are willing to add up to a certain border size, but also willing to trim, then you have a slightly different but still solvable math problem.
posted by RustyBrooks at 7:12 AM on September 3, 2016 [1 favorite]

If there's things on all edges of the image that are likely to get cropped out and you don't want them to be cropped out, then content aware scaling will resize it and leave the most "interesting" parts intact, and still in proportion to the rest of the picture. Of course, it might take a bit of trial and error to make it remove and rescale exactly the bits you want to be changed, but it does work to some extent like magic, so worth a try.
posted by ambrosen at 8:04 AM on September 3, 2016 [1 favorite]

I think you're overthinking this. If you have an aspect ratio that needs to change, you will either need to crop/trim to the new aspect ratio or you'll need to add borders only on the shorter aspect to pad it out (in this case the 8" or 8.5"). You could also do a combination of the two - crop some, add smaller side borders. That's pretty much it, unless you want to get into attempting to Photoshop an extension of the original image onto itself to change the aspect ratio, but that's exceptionally difficult unless we're talking blank wall or something similar which is only really difficult.

Upon review, I personally am not a fan of content-aware scaling but I guess as ambrosen said that could also be an option.
posted by vegartanipla at 8:08 AM on September 3, 2016 [1 favorite]

Decide what size borders you want. Let's say 1" for example. Go to image resize and change the width to 7". Make sure height and width are locked so it scales down proportionally. Then go to canvas size and change height and width to 8x10. This will add the borders.
posted by (Over) Thinking at 8:14 AM on September 3, 2016 [4 favorites]

A common rule of thumb for picture borders is to make the bottom border 10 to 15% larger than the other borders. This won't be enough to completely fix your problem but will help a little.
You could add some small text/author credit below the image to fill up the extra space.

Ultimately though there is no substitute for having frames made with an aspect ratio that matches the artwork, anything else is going to be an ugly compromise.
posted by Lanark at 9:29 AM on September 3, 2016 [3 favorites]

If you mean getting an equal border on each side, its impossible. That would explain why you're having trouble. The only way to have the same borders on each size would be to maintain the aspect ratio which you can't do because it differs from the target aspect ratio.

If you want the image to be as big as possible with only the necessary borders for the aspect ratio, all you have to do is image->image size, make the height 11 inches then go to image->canvas size and set the width to 8.5. If you want borders on all sides, then in your initial resize, make the image smaller then change the canvas size to 8.5x11 or 8x10 but the borders on one dimension are always going to be bigger than the other
posted by missmagenta at 1:05 PM on September 3, 2016 [1 favorite]

If you mean getting an equal border on each side, its impossible.

No, this is wrong. If you don't agree, consider that a if you add 2.5 inches to every side of a 10x20 you get 15x25. 1/2 aspect ratio goes to 3/5. Add 2.5 more and it's now 20x30 or 2/3. See my math in the first post. It's just that if you have more than a small adjustment to make, you end up adding too much border.
posted by RustyBrooks at 6:49 PM on September 3, 2016

« Older Therapist recommendation for London (United...   |   Food safety question! Newer »