#hashtag me

Help me find the right hashtags to connect with resources on twitter relevant to my particular interest in clothes.

I am trying to figure out how to dress in a way that makes me comfortable, both psychologically and physically. I grew up with very old fashioned parents and did not own a pair of pants until I was seven. (No, they were not religious. They were just a) old and b) super old fashioned.)

I have dressed pretty butch the past few years, which isn't a first but is more extreme than anything I did previously. It has been an interesting experience and provided much food for thought. I like dressing more femininely than I have been recently and I am exploring my thoughts and feelings on that here lately in a blog. Although I want to dress more femininely, I have strong objections to the general trend that feminine = sex object on display for all the world to see.

Dressing more butch has helped give me insights into that, but I don't know how this gets talked about by other people. Surely, there is existing language for something like this.

I have no idea what kind of clothing related hashtags I should be looking for or using. Given that this is sort of a personal revolution and protest in addition to just figuring out how to dress, I suppose there are even tags not specifically clothing related that might work, but I wouldn't really know.

Please suggest whatever tags you know of that are clothing related, gender identity related, women's rights/issues related or whatever makes sense to you that might fit. Please explain what the tag means or is used for on Twitter (and/or why you think it might be meaningful to me) so I don't use one in a way that gets horrific backlash.

Thanks.
posted by Michele in California to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I'm not sure Twitter's really the best platform for clothing-related interests (or most specific interests, to be honest). Instagram and Pinterest will provide you with much more sartorial inspiration, and it will be much easier for you to poke through specific topics. A lot of Twitter users I know rarely use hashtags unless they're responding to a trending topic or at a specific event; Instagram is much more hashtaggy.
posted by Metroid Baby at 1:50 PM on August 26, 2016 [2 favorites]

Best answer: I agree with Metroid Baby - Twitter hashtags either wax and wane or are tied to a specific ongoing event (e.g. a TV show). I think following some Tumblrs and noting the tags they use might help. Queer Couture, Dapper Tomboy, Qwear, The Handsome Feminist, I Dream of Dapper and but I'm a tomboy may get you started.
posted by AFABulous at 2:06 PM on August 26, 2016 [4 favorites]

« Older Self-Cleaning Litter Box? Too good to be true?   |   Music for Dancing Grammas Newer »