A song of... a lifetime?

My baby is turning one next month. To mark her first year of life, I'm mashing together 365 one-second video clips (one for each day of her life). Can you help me find the perfect background song? Some criteria beneath the fold...

I'm looking for a particular sound, perhaps dreamy and retrospective, but I can't exactly put my finger on it. I'm attracted to Bon Iver's Holocene and The Cinematic Orchestra's To Build a Home , but the lyrics to both songs are a little too heavy for the occasion.

Can you suggest a song? Or do you know the genre of song I am looking for, so I can have more success Google-ing?

The video is going to end up being about 7 minutes in length, so bonus points if you can suggest songs that are a bit on the longer side.

Thank you!
posted by Cat Face to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: My first thought is something by Dexter Britain. His "The Time to Run" immediately came to my mind.
posted by gauche at 1:16 PM on August 25, 2016

I feel like not including Seasons of Love from Rent would almost be inappropriate.

In the context of the play it is sad though, but creative editing out of the one verse that discusses death leaves a song that is just about love.
posted by sparklemotion at 1:27 PM on August 25, 2016

Best answer: There's lots of classical music for piano that sounds dreamy and retrospective, such as Erik Satie: Gymnopedie 1,2,3 or Claude DeBussy: Clair de Lune
posted by obscure simpsons reference at 1:28 PM on August 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

Baby Love Child is used for a similar montage in Futurama and may fit the bill.

In Metal by Low is a little lower key and more similar to Holocene in tone.
posted by telegraph at 1:31 PM on August 25, 2016

The Story Goes On - Baby
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 1:46 PM on August 25, 2016

Cloud Cult, You Were Born
posted by ottereroticist at 3:41 PM on August 25, 2016

I don't know why, but this 90s song came back to me after reading your description - I Love You Always Forever by Donna Lewis. It's got a lovely happy melody, her voice has that dreamy quality and the lyrics could work really well as a song telling your child how much you love them! And kind of has that retrospective vibe too. Also the beat is a little like a heartbeat!

I love you always forever
Near and far closer together
Everywhere I will be with you
Everything I will do for you

Could be an option!
posted by cornflakegirl at 4:37 PM on August 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

My song when I was born (dating myself a bit) is "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder. I can't help but mention it :)
posted by getawaysticks at 6:12 PM on August 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

It's not exactly the dreamy vibe you were going for, but I keep thinking of "This is the Day" by The The.
posted by shortyJBot at 6:17 PM on August 25, 2016

We are wrapping up our version of this project next month as well, and I believe we are using Rey's theme from Star Wars and then "Take on the World" from "Girl Meets World" (https://open.spotify.com/track/5lz0NiPw32Gq4kMIUJvuw2).

I just did a Spotify search for "first birthday" and found a nice playlist with some songs that definitely wouldn't work, but some that might fit what you're looking for.
https://open.spotify.com/user/allycris/playlist/3GoFf1BsDsOnG98oCxNolo
posted by kellygrape at 7:59 PM on August 25, 2016

First thing that came to my mind was Peter Gabriel - Growing Up. It has some very apropos lyrics, if a bit - odd (but what lyrics arent), and potentially mildly inappropriate or awkward depending on who the target audience is.

It's also in a minor key, which might not match with the joy you're trying to portray. But I love the song. Both the original and the live version from the Growing Up Live DVD (which I much prefer) are about 7:50.
posted by SquidLips at 9:10 PM on August 25, 2016

Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)... [extended mix is just over 6 minutes]

The music is smooth and gentle. The lyrical theme, while more about a partner's love, easily fits into a parent-child context.
posted by zyxwvut at 9:36 PM on August 25, 2016

Response by poster: Thank you, everyone! I loved all of these suggestions and they were all helpful. A special thanks to those who suggested piano/classical -- I don't know why I didn't consider that before, and I ended up selecting this piece by Ludovico Einaudi. Thank you again.
posted by Cat Face at 9:41 PM on August 27, 2016

« Older What is this plant and is it toxic to cats?   |   Crockpot meals prepared the night before Newer »