Last minute getaway within driving distance of NYC

My family is looking for a last minute beach or lake house getaway within driving distance of NYC. Any recommendations?

We'd like to schedule a few days away in August, ideally renting a small home near a beach or lake with a maximum budget of $400 per night. Having no luck finding anything decent on Jersey shore, Montauk or Fire Island within that price range so wondering if anyone has any recommendations for other areas, perhaps with lake houses. Willing to drive up to 5 hours and just want to swim, BBQ and relax.
posted by gfrobe to Travel & Transportation (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

How many people (children/adults) do you need to accommodate?
posted by telegraph at 8:08 AM on August 8, 2016

Response by poster: Sorry, it's two adults, two teens and a 12 year old.
posted by gfrobe at 8:20 AM on August 8, 2016

What about Lake George? It is a 4 hour drive. There seem to be a number of properties in your price range. I actually think availability will be the bigger issue - it is late to be booking for August!
posted by DarlingBri at 8:55 AM on August 8, 2016

It is late for booking most places for anything in August especially looking for a good price. Don't know about availability but Summer Station in Cape May has 2BR 1 or 2 bath units. They are oceanfront and set up like small condos. Full hotel amenities but also full kitchen in units as well as washer/dryer and onsite pool. On their website the 2BR 2 bath unit is listed as $395 and really for summer in NJ that is a bargain. It is not luxury but it is not bad by any means.
posted by MrsMGH at 9:06 AM on August 8, 2016

You could try the northwest corner of Connecticut. I see availability near Highland Lake for example. Lake Waramaug was always my favorite. You could also try the Poconos.
posted by rdnnyc at 9:29 AM on August 8, 2016

Lake Winnipesaukee? http://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php
posted by SemiSalt at 10:40 AM on August 8, 2016

Check out Old Forge, Inlet, Raquette Lake, Long Lake, and some of the many other Adirondack lakes. Old Forge has motels and some houses for rent as does Inlet. Small towns on the lakes, no one bother you, lots of burger and pizza places, etc. A lot of good hiking too for all levels of hiker.
posted by AugustWest at 11:10 AM on August 8, 2016

I rented but cannot use a cottage on Lake Champlain in North Hero, Vermont the week of August 14-21. Memail me if you're interested.
posted by yes I said yes I will Yes at 11:13 AM on August 8, 2016

Lake Wallenpaupack in PA?
posted by smokyjoe at 12:03 PM on August 8, 2016

Response by poster: Thanks all. I'll look into all of those suggestions. And thanks for offer about cottage Yes I Said.. we're probably looking week after but I appreciate it.
posted by gfrobe at 6:11 PM on August 8, 2016

« Older Separation of Cake & States   |   Ready to receive your advice Newer »