Science-y Adventures for Adults in the Bay Area?

I'd like to follow around a trained naturalist or scientist and listen to them hold forth on flora, fauna, geology, weather, (and some history) you name it. I have an Absolute Lack of Patience for general tours that lack a suitable density of information. (This is also true of nature documentaries.) I'm less picky about exact topic and more interested in interesting and knowledgeable speakers. Museums are cool, but I far prefer wandering around outside. Any ideas to share?
posted by Alex Haist to Science & Nature (7 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: Are you interested in geology? This guy does occasional guided tours. His website is fascinating. Check the about page, I don't see any tours coming up, but there were two in July.
posted by Wavelet at 3:21 PM on August 7, 2016

CCSF (or maybe Peralta?) has a few 1 credit or 0.5-credit classes that seem to be basically a day or two of studying some part of the local ecosystem.
posted by needs more cowbell at 4:12 PM on August 7, 2016 [1 favorite]

This fall's offerings look sparse but last spring there were 1-2 day classes on the ecology of pt. Reyes and of the golden gate recreation area, for example.
posted by needs more cowbell at 4:18 PM on August 7, 2016

Don't have a specific recommendation for you but in my experience this is when springing for a private tour can make all the difference. Frequently docents and guides are full of great info but they have to keep things on a general level for their audiences. And then when you get them alone they can really speak and guide you in detail. (The private tour I had at the Louvre was the best 2.5 hours I've ever spent in any museum ever, and I was stunned at how much depth the guide went into.)
posted by BlahLaLa at 4:35 PM on August 7, 2016

Probably doesn't meet your density of information criteria, but a couple local companies do a nighttime bio-luminescence tour of Tomales Bay. Point Reyes Outdoors were excellent. They were guides, not scientists, but the whole thing was pretty cool.
posted by cnc at 4:42 PM on August 7, 2016 [1 favorite]

Best answer: The UC Berkeley botanical garden does docent guided tours of their extensive collection of native (and non native) flora. I have gone there almost 50 times with groups of students, and learned something new almost every time.
posted by rockindata at 5:16 PM on August 7, 2016 [2 favorites]

Point Reyes likely would fit the bill. It is geologically unique, thus has unique flora and fauna. A quick Google turns up these options:

https://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

http://www.pointreyessafaris.com/
posted by Michele in California at 1:03 AM on August 8, 2016 [1 favorite]

« Older 3 days in Kiev and 3 in Chernobyl - any...   |   Please recommend sub $300 android phone with great... Newer »