What to buy for a sweet PS4/general entertainment setup?

I'm gonna be coming up on some money soon. Hooray! In order to save money I plan on buying a PS4, but I'm starting from nothing. What sorts of things do I need to have a really fun experience?

I want to buy a monitor more than a TV because I don't have much space in my room. I've read that 120hz monitors are what I want. I'm looking to get a maybe 32" one, and I'll be viewing it from about 5 feet away. Is this too big? Also, is it a good idea to get a monitor? Should I get a TV? If I want to stream Netflix from my phone can I do that on a monitor? I want to spend about $250-$350 on this.

Now, I'm really interested in playing cinematic games. Uncharted 4 and Metal Gear Solid 5 are my top picks before I get any other games, and maybe Fallout 4. I want a 2.1 sound system that'll really make these games sound good. I like the fact that both of them have moments of quiet pierced by intense action sequences, or in the case of MGS5, the ability to go about missions without getting into firefights. I ALSO want to be able to play music through these speakers. Do I need two different pairs of speakers, and therefore a receiver that can do a sort of A/B switch for them, or should one pair be fine? I'd sort of like a pair of old floor speakers, and I don't need anything crazy like vintage Pioneers or anything like that. Are those no good for games?

However, I also need a headset so I can play these games in the middle of the night without pissing off my roommate! What are some good wireless options? And can I have some that allow me to talk on multiplayer games?

I know this is sort of a general question, but I'm buying these things mostly to play PS4 (and I'm sure Xbox One down the line), I just like to buy things like these that can work for multiple applications.
posted by gucci mane to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Also, I haven't bought anything like this in 6 years, so I am seriously out of touch with the technology.
posted by gucci mane at 2:44 PM on July 30, 2016

As long as the monitor is 1080p, 32" at 5 feet doesn't seem too big. Sometimes I sit almost that close to a 46" TV (and my eyesight is good).
posted by paper chromatographologist at 3:03 PM on July 30, 2016

I recommend wirecutter for electronic recommendations. I have the budget soundbar they recommend, and it works fine for music/games/movies.

Don't think they have monitor recommendations, but they do recommend several TVs.
posted by mosschief at 3:08 PM on July 30, 2016

you should also get dragon age: inquisition btw

secondly you should get a set of cheap wired headphones as spares for when the wireless ones suddenly need charging in the middle of a game because you forgot to charge them AGAIN ugh why
posted by poffin boffin at 3:46 PM on July 30, 2016

Details are fuzzy, but there's supposed to be a PlayStation 4.5 coming out sometime in the next several months.
posted by paper chromatographologist at 4:46 PM on July 30, 2016

If you're only going to be using a PS4 then a 120hz monitor is a waste of money. PS4 games only run up to 60 frames per second, and many don't even hit that. You generally only benefit from 120hz monitors if you're using a high-end gaming PC. Just buy a decent 1080p TV - 32" is probably a bit small for five foot viewing, try to go 40"+.

If you want to play Netflix from your phone a Chromecast is probably the easiest option.
posted by fearthehat at 8:25 PM on July 30, 2016 [3 favorites]

RE: Netflix, if you wind up getting a PS4, you'll be able to use Netflix on the console itself, even if you don't sign up for PSPlus.

For a gaming headset, I'm currently rocking these: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g933-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset. These allow me to communicate while playing just fine.

My current setup is that I run both my PC and my PS4 off the same monitor, so if my pair dies in the middle of a game I can just plug the USB cable into the headset and keep going (this works less well if your controller is also dead, as the headset uses a dongle to communicate with the PS4 or your PC).
posted by isauteikisa at 9:08 PM on July 30, 2016 [1 favorite]

Instead of Fallout 4 (which is fun, but nowhere near as good as Fallout 3), please, please, PLEASE get The Last of Us Remastered. You're going to love it.
posted by sevensnowflakes at 1:41 AM on July 31, 2016

Oh! Also, the PS4 controller has a headphone jack, so if you want to play with some good-quality headphones, no need to go wireless! I play with my Bose QCs plugged into the controller and the sound quality is awesome.
posted by sevensnowflakes at 1:43 AM on July 31, 2016

For the headset, my kids bought me this, and I find it quite comfortable and has some adjustments (EQ, etc.).
posted by kuanes at 5:27 AM on August 1, 2016

I just did the exact thing you're doing. I got a 65" 4k TV, a PS4, and a 5.1 soundbar (the budget soundbar mosschief mentioned above, recommended by Wirecutter).

If I want to stream Netflix from my phone can I do that on a monitor?
Netflix will stream through your PS4 to your monitor, no problem.

Now, I'm really interested in playing cinematic games.
Then you definitely want to add The Last Of Us Remastered to that list. Holy shit that was a good game.

I want a 2.1 sound system that'll really make these games sound good.
The sound bar I got is 5.1, but there's a 2.1 version available as well that's less expensive (VIZIO SB3821-C6 38-Inch 2.1 Channel Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer, currently $158 on Amazon).

I ALSO want to be able to play music through these speakers.
The speakers I got are awesome for this. I can push the bluetooth button and it pairs instanly with my phone, which I then use to stream music. There's also multiple inputs, so if you have a CD player or whatever, you can use that as well (RCA in, optical in, etc).

BE CAREFUL HERE. Sony makes a wireless headset that will let you do what you want to do here. Bluetooth and PS4 is a tricky thing unfortunately. You can't just pair any headset like you can with your phone. Do some research before you buy. You can either get the Sony Gold Wireless Headset and be done with it (which I hear sound very nice, have a mic, but some people complain about poor build quality, that they break if you're not gentle with them), or you can get a bluetooth dongle and plug that into the PS4 and connect your bluetooth headset to that, however, often times that means your mic won't work, only your audio. The PS4 controller also has a 1/8" headset jack, so if you have a set of wired headphones you like, you can plug those in directly to the controller. I do that sometimes. I also have a pair of bluetooth headphones that I pair with my TV, so the audio goes from the PS4-->TV-->headphones, instead of PS4-->Soundbar or PS4-->controller-->headphones. This lets me shoot people in the face without my wife or kid getting annoyed by the sound of explosions.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 9:45 AM on August 1, 2016

Thanks for all the answers! I'll be sure to check out TVs. What would ppl recommend? The way my room is setup is I have a little table near the foot of my bed (5 feet away from my eyes) where the PS4 will be located, along with TV or monitor. I should be looking for something that's 40+"?
posted by gucci mane at 10:12 AM on August 1, 2016

I would heartily recommend setting aside some money for a PS+ subscription and for downloading digital games.

PS+ gets you two PS4 games each month. And most of the truly amazing video games I have played in the past 5+ years have been downloadable titles only. For example, The Witness is on the Playstation Store, but not at retail. And I'm about to finish Headlander, which is a smaller title that came out last week that was great.
posted by tacodave at 4:05 PM on August 1, 2016

also honestly before you even set it up you should swap out the standard 500gb hdd for a 2tb one instead; my ps4 is now full (i had to delete a downloaded game just to fit the recent overwatch update) and i only have 10 games on it. these aren't even downloaded games, i have the discs, but that's how much installed/saved data it takes to run each one of them. i'll be swapping out the drive tomorrow using this walkthrough and ideally i won't screw it up too badly.

assassin's creed syndicate for example is taking up 66.31gb of my hard drive, even though there's only one dlc installed. 66 fucking gigs! how! it is a mystery.
posted by poffin boffin at 5:50 PM on August 1, 2016

« Older What are these Greek cheese pies with honey called...   |   Marine biologists, what was that thing I saw all... Newer »