What are today's topical jokes?

I remember when I was younger—probably late elementary through middle school but potentially a broader range—I used to hear and pass along tons of topical jokes. Jokes about Michael Jackson, Bill Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, Bob Dole, Jose Canseco and other athletes, Madonna, Kurt Cobain, and on and on. Whether it's because I'm now in the wrong age demographic or they're just not as much of a thing anymore (that's a whole other question), I just don't hear them now. Assuming they're out there, what have you got for me???

Note: I'm interested in all of it, no matter where it's from! I'm an American dude but post jokes about Brexit or K-Pop or cricket or European footballers or anything you've heard. Thanks!
posted by ORthey to Writing & Language (17 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

We've become a lot more visual with computers and cellphones. I'd wager the kinds of jokes you're talking about have mostly been converted to memes.
posted by INFJ at 11:20 AM on July 13, 2016 [20 favorites]

Q: How many Brexiters does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: We never said there was a lightbulb!
posted by Catseye at 11:25 AM on July 13, 2016 [7 favorites]

Just saw this one today
posted by janey47 at 11:34 AM on July 13, 2016 [4 favorites]

Is current pop culture okay? If so...

Q: What is Rickon Stark's favorite band?
A: One Direction

Q: What is Tommen Baratheon's favorite band?
A: Fall Out Boy
posted by gnomeloaf at 11:37 AM on July 13, 2016 [3 favorites]

Response by poster: gnomeloaf, yes! Current pop culture is more than OK, especially when it involves GoT!
posted by ORthey at 11:41 AM on July 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

I agree that the topical jokes you used to hear were the memes of the pre-image sharing world.

My source for that kind of thing is generally the front page of imgur (tw: the site is reddit-related and probably about as well moderated as reddit's front page).

For example, I definitely saw gnomeloaf's two jokes in an imgur album (probably a "dump" from tumblr or twitter). Here is a decent looking (I didn't scroll through the whole thing) Game of Thrones themed one. Here's some brexit reactions from twitter.
posted by sparklemotion at 11:53 AM on July 13, 2016 [2 favorites]

Watching SNL Weekend Update, I think it's kind of like... "Taylor Swift has SO MANY boyfriends!" "Hey, the Black Eyed Peas are gross, and they're still kind of around!" A lot of them are definitely also borrowed from meme "culture."
posted by stoneandstar at 12:16 PM on July 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

I just saw one that is topical but likely location dependent.

Q.Did you hear the Yankees just raised the price to trade pitcher Andrew Miller?
A.It went to 3 Pikachus.

Pretty weak but all I got.
posted by AugustWest at 12:52 PM on July 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

Q: Whats the difference between England and a teabag?
A: A teabag stays in the (euro)cup longer...
posted by H. Roark at 12:54 PM on July 13, 2016 [2 favorites]

I could be wrong – I'm not particularly clued in – but it seems like these sort of basic setup/punchline jokes are kinda out of fashion these days.

However, you can find plenty of this kind of joke on /r/jokes, including some topical ones.
posted by escape from the potato planet at 12:55 PM on July 13, 2016 [4 favorites]

For me personally I think I very rarely hear these jokes anymore because their humor usually hinges on racism or misogyny (if not a general lack of compassion) and I run with a more socially progressive crowd now than I did a decade ago.

Once in a great while I hear a joke like this from my dad, who says he hears them a lot on AM talk radio.
posted by telegraph at 1:07 PM on July 13, 2016 [9 favorites]

The consistently largest source of these jokes is opening monologues for late-night talk shows. Here's a bunch of them by date.
posted by homodachi at 3:00 PM on July 13, 2016 [3 favorites]

I was going to say, surely you just need to put on Conan O'Brien?
posted by praemunire at 3:14 PM on July 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

Twitter is where I get most of my topical humor these days. On my phone right now so I can't link, but Buzzfeed will often do lists of "funniest tweets about x" do that might be a good place to look.
posted by lunasol at 3:49 PM on July 13, 2016 [2 favorites]

Would you like a joke like this?

Q: What does the "B" in Benoit B. Mandelbrot stand for?
   A: Benoit B. Mandelbrot.

If so, see this reddit thread.

Or would you like a joke like this?

Google+ is the gym of social networking. We all join, but nobody actually uses it.

If so, see Unijokes.
posted by forthright at 7:20 PM on July 13, 2016 [2 favorites]

An Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman walk into a bar. But then they had to leave because the Englishman wanted to.
posted by Knowyournuts at 9:01 PM on July 13, 2016 [7 favorites]

One I heard the other day: "Britain and the USA are in a competition to see who can make the biggest mess of their political system. Britain seems to be winning, but I've heard that the US has a Trump card."
posted by Jabberwocky at 4:43 AM on July 14, 2016

« Older Help me find an old painting I saw once.   |   Help me identify this mysterious pendant with... Newer »