Name That TV Show: British/PBS 1980s edition!

Someone emailed my office trying to remember the names of two TV shows, possibly British, that aired on U.S. public TV in the 1980s. Can you and your wayback goggles help?

He writes:
Back in the early 1980’s, approximately 1981 to 1984, [Public Television Station in Midwestern State] had two series on air. I think that both series were by the BBC but not sure? I do remember the characters having British accents!

1. Aired on Sunday mornings, and the series was about a mansion where each week, someone would go missing.

2. Aired during the weekdays and was about a boy and a girl spending the night in a museum...?
I emailed him back with a couple of questions about the length of the episodes, whether they had a science/social issues focus, etc., but this is what I have for now.

posted by St. Hubbins to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

#2 makes me think of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which was made into a TV movie in 1973. Set in NYC so no British accents--maybe your cow orker got that part wrong?
posted by orrnyereg at 1:00 PM on June 30, 2016

#1 might be Sapphire and Steel?
posted by orrnyereg at 1:03 PM on June 30, 2016 [1 favorite]

Very much seconding #2.
posted by WCityMike at 1:17 PM on June 30, 2016

In my Googling, I found this, which sounds kind of like it could have been the same show...?

More info from the asker:
Both shows were an hour long and aired at a time of year when each one got pre-empted by pledge drives.

1. The Sunday-only series, which aired around 1981, featured older people [note: I'm guessing he probably just means "not kids"] staying in a mansion and they were being taken out one by one by a person dressed in a black cape. It is not "And Then There Were None." [maybe he's referring to the 1974 film version?]

2. The museum-based show, which aired daily around 1984, had a brother and sister who were 10-15 years old and had British accents.
[I am pretty sure this is not Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.]
posted by St. Hubbins at 2:02 PM on June 30, 2016

« Older Can I chalk this all up to anxiety/stress? (YANMD)   |   Name That Movie... Newer »