Identification of a poem and its source

I can't remember the place I read this poem as a grade-schooler. Google has some people asking about it but no answer. Does anyone know where this poem is from, especially author and where it was published in the 70s? This is as much as I remember: (poem inside)

Unhorsed, thrown down,
with mortal wounds he lies, and as he dies,
He sees the flags fluttering in the air
(he barely hears the holy monk beside him,
murmuring a prayer)
And [something something] and who will sorrow,
When fowl awaken beast and man,
Tomorrow, and then tomorrow.

This is all from hazy memory, but I am trying to find it as I've been reading some things about poems that people have memorized and why. That's the one I memorized, and I'd sure like to know where I read it. Thank you!
posted by Rufous-headed Towhee heehee to Writing & Language (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

i think it is a line from the young duellists
posted by zippy at 9:36 AM on June 24, 2016

Nope. Full paragraph from that book reads:
Those were times, certainly, or chivalric but barbarous warfare. The delicacy of female sentiment no longer delights in the renown of men, whose highest title to consideration was founded on the numerous antagonists they had excited by their hautiness, to combat – unhorsed – thrown down – murdered!
posted by zamboni at 9:57 AM on June 24, 2016

Edwin Arlington Robinson's "Lancelot, a poem" contains the "tomorrow and then tomorrow" bit, and has a similar feel to the rest, but not sure if it's the one you want.
posted by papayaninja at 10:35 AM on June 24, 2016

I don't know but it sounds SO familiar, so I'm going to at least reassure you that you didn't just make it up in a dream.
posted by town of cats at 10:44 AM on June 24, 2016

As you say, other people (I guess not you?) have asked this question elsewhere, on Yahoo Answers and Chicklit forums. The versions of the text in those places are similar but not identical.

The poster on Chicklit forums seems to think it was in an (undigitized?) children's magazine.

I haven't found any other leads through googling or electronic databases.
posted by crazy with stars at 5:31 PM on June 24, 2016

Metafilter is the best, of course, but maybe try posting on a site that's specifically for grade-school teachers.
Or on sites or FB groups for the members of your high-school or grade-school classes.
posted by JimN2TAW at 2:43 PM on June 27, 2016

« Older Are my interns getting screwed?   |   I'm Down 0-40, a double break, and two sets to... Newer »