Online support system for new sci-fi writers
June 22, 2016 8:20 AM   Subscribe

I'm starting to write short science fiction. Where should I look (online) for support, guidance and, eventually, publishing?

I'm in Chile, so I don't have access to any local writers groups or workshops about English language sci-fi, which is what I'm writing.
I'd love to be able to post some stories and have them torn to pieces by internet strangers.
Where should I go for online community, critique, advice, encouragement and/or discouragement?
posted by signal to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 19 users marked this as a favorite

The forums at Absolute Write are excellent and well-moderated.

Critters is a long-running (20 years and counting!) critique-trading group where members earn the ability to have their own work critiqued by reading and critiquing the work of others. It's used by seasoned pros and unpublished amateurs alike.

Once you get a publication or workshop under your belt, the Codex Writers Group is a bustling community of "Neo-Pro" writers.

There's a passel of off-label Slack channels where writers congregate; a little googling around may help you find one that's a good fit.

Also, while your location may keep you from considering some workshops, online classes like Mary Robinette Kowal's Short Story Intensive might be something you could consider—the relationships you form with your classmates are often at least as valuable as the instruction.
posted by Sokka shot first at 9:06 AM on June 22, 2016 [3 favorites]

I have a blog post with online writing classes and other alternatives (after the in-person workshop suggestions). There's some overlap with Sokka shot first's suggestion above, but there are also some additional links.
posted by wintersweet at 9:50 AM on June 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Joining some Facebook groups for sci-fi writers might be a good way to network with other writers and learn about new opportunities.
posted by helloimjennsco at 10:52 AM on June 22, 2016

Depending on the size of your city, you might be able to start your own in-person critique group. If that sounds like a possibility, I can share some info about how the in-person SF group I'm involved with runs things.
posted by showbiz_liz at 11:57 AM on June 22, 2016

« Older What should we do with appliances after kitchen...   |   What should I see/do on a car trip from Northern... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.