Trumpet and female voice over electronica, pre 1984. Anyone?
June 22, 2016 5:13 AM   Subscribe

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for a particular electronica track from before 1984. It featured a trumpet and female voice over a repetitive electronic...not really a baseline, but more ....just a background for the trumpet and voice to contrast to. i heard it on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's "Dreamtime" program one day in March or April 1984. That program is long gone, and no-one at the ABC seems to know if any playlists still exist, so I don't know the artist OR the title. So....anyone??
posted by flutable to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

A long-shot at an answer: Torch by Soft Cell (1982), which features one Cindy Ecstasy sharing vocals with Marc Almond, and a prominent flugelhorn part.
posted by misteraitch at 5:36 AM on June 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

my first guess is, Laurie Anderson
posted by thelonius at 6:44 AM on June 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Another possibility: The Walk by Eurythmics (also 1982).
posted by misteraitch at 6:53 AM on June 22, 2016

At a guess, it sounds like a track off of The Attrition of Reason, released in 1984 (originally). Alternately, maybe Laurie Anderson, or Joolz?

Some questions that might help:

Were the vocals in English, or another language?
Was the music up-tempo, or more towards the droning and ambient side?
Was it cheery or dark-sounding?
Did the song sound professionally recorded, or more like a murky home or budget recording?
Was the wind instrument definitely a trumpet, or possibly another wind instrument (or a synthesized wind instrument)?
posted by Transmissions From Vrillon at 6:56 AM on June 22, 2016

Trumpet (well, cornet, technically...), electronics, female voice, pre-1984... Chris & Cosey? Specifically something from Trance or Heartbeat maybe?
posted by remembrancer at 8:15 AM on June 22, 2016

Yeah, my guess given the year would be Let X=X by Laurie Anderson.
posted by lefty lucky cat at 8:39 AM on June 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

Art of Noise? Lots of horns and female voices. For example, Close to the Edit - but lots of their tracks would fit the bill.
posted by gyusan at 9:34 AM on June 22, 2016

Thirding something by Laurie Anderson.
posted by Sara C. at 9:57 AM on June 22, 2016

Laurie Anderson "Example #22" from Big Science?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXXFH8y4vcI
posted by jeff-o-matic at 11:35 AM on June 22, 2016

Saint Germain I want you to get together ?

It's actually a dude with a femme voice.
posted by St. Peepsburg at 1:01 PM on June 22, 2016

This sounds like something Malcom McLaren might have done.
posted by zippy at 2:20 PM on June 22, 2016

Transmissions From Vrillon: the genre was not pop/trance, but more Klaus Schulze/kind of droning/ambient. In fact, the playlist had Schulze before this track and Wanda Landowska (a harpsichordist) afterwards, so maybe that's a clue. Google hasn't helped with this, and I've listened to as much Schulze as possible, and it isn't him.

It was definitely a trumpet, definitely professionally recorded.

There were no words in the vocals, hence no language (sorry,really should have made this clear in the question); the vocals

Laurie Anderson is too "jazzy", sorry.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
posted by flutable at 4:33 PM on June 22, 2016

I'm sorry that an answer hasn't been found for you, yet. Do you have any examples of similar-sounding tracks?
posted by Transmissions From Vrillon at 7:58 AM on July 19, 2016

« Older Should I expect one-on-one childcare?   |   Help Identifying/Translating Turkish or Arabic?... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.