Super Toothpaste - What is it called?

A colleague once mentioned to me that he has never in his life had a cavity in his 50 years of living. He attributed it to a toothpaste and/or mouthwash combo that he grew up with and still uses. He says that it is available in Indian grocery markets.

My assumption was that it was a product of British health colonization, but I could be very wrong. I think the name of the product began with a K, Q, C or something like that, but my memory is very vague.

I remember that he said it tasted awful but it cleaned his mouth/teeth like nothing else.

Can anyone help me with the name of this product and share how I can find it?

(Note: It's not something like biotin or anything like that. I remember feeling that it was some kind of enamel strengthener or something like that, but nothing that is in the regular U.S. commercial market). I remember a medicinal name or resembling it, and I have a strong feeling it was not a "natural" product.

Help!
posted by RaRa-SpaceRobot to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

I don't know any brand names, but maybe a neem toothpaste?
posted by threeants at 7:57 PM on June 19, 2016

Sorry, I read too fast and didn't see that you don't think it's anything natural...
posted by threeants at 7:58 PM on June 19, 2016

Vicco?
posted by holgate at 7:58 PM on June 19, 2016 [4 favorites]

Euthymol?
posted by scruss at 8:12 PM on June 19, 2016

Binaca? Cibaca?
posted by bdk3clash at 8:18 PM on June 19, 2016

KP Namboodiri’s Danta Dhavana Choornam? Since 1928.
posted by Iris Gambol at 8:43 PM on June 19, 2016

Also, here are some Indian toothpastes/powders/mouthwashes.
posted by Iris Gambol at 8:59 PM on June 19, 2016 [1 favorite]

[A few comments removed. Folks, please focus on answering the specific question asked regardless of whether or not you have more general opinions about cavities and genetics etc.]
posted by cortex (staff) at 9:41 PM on June 19, 2016 [1 favorite]

Vicco! That's what it was. Thanks, holgate!

(P.S. I understand the genetic perspective, but am interested in trying this brand, because toothpaste is better than no toothpaste!).
posted by RaRa-SpaceRobot at 11:23 PM on June 19, 2016

Side note: Vicco also makes a moisturizer that's pretty darn good and worked great at keeping my skin nice and glowy when I spent a few weeks in the dirt and grime of Sri Lanka.
posted by Everydayville at 3:21 PM on June 20, 2016

« Older Where to look for tech support, QA, or other jobs...   |   Over the river, through the woods but NOT to... Newer »