Replacing cloth suitcase handle?

So I recently ripped through a cloth suitcase handle (photos attached below). I would like to know it it's possible to replace the cloth part or the whole assembly fairly cheaply (<30USD) or if it's worth tossing the fairly cheap luggage in question.

The metal parts that held the cloth strap in place are both securely intact. I searched Amazon but can't seem to find the correct terms for this particular part of the suitcase, and I wouldn't know where to start in terms of replacing the whole assembly. I'm a fairly handy person (do minor car/house maintenance myself, for instance, so I'm not phased at trying to do so.
posted by thegears to Home & Garden (7 answers total)

Sorry, dropped the image link.
posted by thegears at 9:17 AM on June 19, 2016

I used to carry a school bag made of leather, which had a similarly shaped handle, but all leather. Sometimes these handles broke; my mother then took the bag to a cobbler and it came back with a nice new handle. I'm pretty sure cobblers can still do that kind of thing. So that's where I would ask.
posted by Too-Ticky at 9:40 AM on June 19, 2016 [2 favorites]

Yes, agreeing that a shoemaker/shoe repair shop is the place to ask about this. Might totally be worth doing.
posted by BlahLaLa at 9:48 AM on June 19, 2016

Maybe something from here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/luggage-parts-handle.html
posted by SemiSalt at 10:43 AM on June 19, 2016

The term you want is "webbing", and you can buy an entire roll of it for like $10-15 (for example.

To make it comfortable, get a patch of leather/fake leather-like material (thinner will be easier to sew) and sew it around the webbing.

You will have recreated the handle that was on there, with likely enough extra material to make 30 more.
posted by Dr.Enormous at 10:46 AM on June 19, 2016

They make nice leather replacement handles with two "belt buckle" like fasteners on either end.

Ohiotravelbag.com sells them.
posted by jabah at 12:18 PM on June 19, 2016

Thanks jabah, that's just what I was looking for.
posted by thegears at 12:52 PM on June 19, 2016

« Older It's buggin' me   |   Name for LIterary Fiction Genre? Newer »