Looking for a "biography of Detroit"

I'm hoping to find a readable non-fiction book that covers Detroit's history, from its birth to its rise and then it's death, for lack of a better word. (Even if the city isn't dead--it's hard to argue that what Detroit used to be isn't dead.) Is there a recent "definitive" book in this vein?
posted by Precision to Society & Culture (7 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

You might like Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit. It doesn't cover the entire period of Detroit's history but covers lots of ground and from what I know is well-respected.
posted by rainbowbrite at 1:45 PM on June 16, 2016 [3 favorites]

Detroit: An American Autopsy may be what you are looking for.

I really feel the need to mention, however, how offensive it is to the several hundred thousand people still trying to build lives in the city to be told that it is dead.
posted by praemunire at 1:51 PM on June 16, 2016 [7 favorites]

Its focused specifically on one decade, but surely you've heard of Once in a Great City?
posted by theweasel at 2:14 PM on June 16, 2016 [2 favorites]

I enjoyed Detroit: A Biography.
posted by Lucinda at 2:27 PM on June 16, 2016

Detroit City Is the Place To Be , Mark Binelli
posted by sideofwry at 3:23 PM on June 16, 2016

Detroit: City of Race and Class Violence is an excellent handling of its subject. I have the original version, published it 1972, and it was updated in 1989, so obviously it doesn't address anything more recent.
posted by The Deej at 6:09 PM on June 16, 2016

Two books about Detroit that I particularly liked, along with Maraniss' book linked above, are Surkin and Georgakas' Detroit: I Do Mind Dying and June Manning Thomas' Redevelopment and Race: Planning a Finer City in Postwar Detroit.
posted by Dip Flash at 5:46 AM on June 17, 2016 [1 favorite]

« Older Queering gestation   |   Toddler Safety at a Lakefront Vacation Rental... Newer »