Bargain NAS or Bad Idea?

Would a PowerEdge R610 and a Powervault MD1000 make a reasonable NAS setup?

I want to setup a home NAS and I have a Dell PowerEdge R610.

I can get a Powervault MD1000 for around $200. And 2TB HDD's for $50 a piece. So for under $1000 I'd be set, right?

Is this worth setting up? Is there a better option? What am I missing?
posted by zinon to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

You may want to do a cost of power per year vs a more modest turnkey or low power box, a server like that idling could use a bunch of watts.
posted by sammyo at 2:00 PM on June 15, 2016 [6 favorites]

That's going to be fast, but it's probably overkill for home use (although, with the cheapo hard drives, it's going to cause a performance hit). Do you really need fifteen 2TB drives?

You can get a good 4 to 6 bay standalone NAS case for $300 - $400, and then several 3 - 4 TB drives, for about the same price. lower power consumption, easier to administer, and at that price those NAS often have a bunch of server-related features (rsync, cloud uploads, etc., printer sharing, etc.).
posted by AzraelBrown at 2:15 PM on June 15, 2016

I believe that's the model of powervault I had at work a few years ago and it was loud. Like ear damagingly loud if you were near it for more than an hour. Hear it through several closed office doors loud.

There's no way I'd allow one in my home just from the noise aspect, but it's also going to draw a lot more power and generate more heat than your typical prosumer NAS. Personally I have a little home unit with 4 4TB drives in RAID 10 that does everything I need it to.
posted by Candleman at 3:12 PM on June 15, 2016 [1 favorite]

Loud. Hot. Power-hungry. Built for 24/7 load in a DC or server cupboard, not standard NAS usage. Little 1U fans are whiny. I'd call it a false economy compared to a purpose-built NAS. Also, 3-4TB is the sweet spot for spinnydisks right now: Backblaze has settled on 4TB for the bulk of its purchases.

If you actually need 30TB and don't want to pay for an 8-bay NAS, then maybe get a high-performance, low-noise full tower case like a Define R5 with eight 3.5in bays and buy 4TB drives?
posted by holgate at 3:35 PM on June 15, 2016 [2 favorites]

Yep, these are for high demand server rooms/floors/colocation facilities where human beings don't spend long amounts of time (hopefully). If that's not where this is going to go, then it's probably a bad idea.
posted by destructive cactus at 3:56 PM on June 15, 2016 [2 favorites]

Reddit does this better than metafilter. Check 'em out.
/r/DataHoarder
/r/homelab
posted by ryanrs at 4:06 PM on June 15, 2016

Reddit does this better than metafilter.

I'm not sure how you feel those beat hands on experience with the unit in question. I checked and it was one of the JBOD (don't forget this needs a PERC card too - another aging piece of hardware that can develop failures) systems I used and it was ungodly loud and hot compared to similar units.

Dell's page for it
Wattage:
488 W maximum continuous; 550 W peak

Heat dissipation:
200 W
That's serious power draw and heat creation for a home NAS, not including the overhead for the R610 (that I also have experience with and don't want in my home either). At $0.12 per kWh, that's $420/year. My derpy little ARM based home NAS may not be "enterprisey" but it still handles all the tasks I need it to and draws less than 1/10 of the power. Just because it goes in a rack doesn't mean it's good for all purposes.

There are times when ex-datacenter system make sense for home labs - when you're running 20-30 virtual machines simultaneously, for example - but mostly it's a waste of electricity and cooling.
posted by Candleman at 10:37 PM on June 15, 2016 [1 favorite]

Thanks for the sanity check Candleman. It's hard to say no to free equipment, even when you have no practical use for it.
posted by zinon at 1:44 PM on June 16, 2016

« Older What alternatives are surprisingly worth it?   |   Urgent suit + tailoring in Berkeley or SF (on the... Newer »