What is this marvelous academic cap?
June 12, 2016 9:17 AM   Subscribe

I was at the UCLA graduation ceremony for the School of Engineering, and throughout the entire ceremony I was mesmerized by the academic dress that one of the professors was wearing - specifically, his cap. It was a vibrant blue, and looked like it might have been a fez, but I can't say for sure because the top rim of the cap had a blue satin fringe that extended the entire length of the cap. On top, there was a very large pompon. It wasn't a tam, it was something rigid and tall.

Does anybody know what this is, what it designates, and from where it originates? I wasn't able to take a very good picture from the jumbotron, but will post if people deem this helpful. Thank you!
posted by queensissy to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
did it look like this but blue?
posted by Just this guy, y'know at 9:25 AM on June 12, 2016 [1 favorite]

This is a bit of a stretch, but your description reminds me of academic regalia of Spain.
posted by saeculorum at 9:27 AM on June 12, 2016

Dr Jose Quintans got his PhD at the University of Santiago and his academic getup looks very similar to your description.
posted by yeahlikethat at 9:31 AM on June 12, 2016 [2 favorites]

Could be a biretta?

blue means physics I think?
posted by Just this guy, y'know at 9:32 AM on June 12, 2016

Sometimes the more elaborate caps denote status within a university hierarchy like a president, chancellor or rector.
posted by srboisvert at 9:55 AM on June 12, 2016

You guys are amazing! Yes, it's a blue biretta. Thank you so much.
posted by queensissy at 12:44 PM on June 12, 2016

Or rather, not a biretta, but exactly as the other photos have shown.
posted by queensissy at 6:20 PM on June 12, 2016

« Older Happy Forgot a Website Day!   |   Best new stand mixer Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.