Soothing musical loops
June 8, 2016 7:58 AM   Subscribe

I've been really into Swedish electro artist The Field lately. His music features a lot of slow building loops, complex layering, and hypnotic beats. I find the repetition very soothing and it helps me focus at work. I'm looking for more artists with a similar style: electro/synth, no vocals, more repetition than variation. More description within.

While I love DJ Shadow and Avalanches, as well as some ambient artists like Brian Eno and The Orb, they aren't what I'm looking for because their music is too dynamic and varied. The layering of loops is the key here; the repetition seems to both heighten my senses and help me relax at the same time.
posted by lieber hair to Media & Arts (19 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite

Does Four Tet's Rounds album work for you? It has some variation, but is also a lot of stacked loops. If so, Pause is also worth check out, though I suspect you'll find his later works too distracting or abrasive.
posted by Candleman at 8:07 AM on June 8, 2016 [2 favorites]

Robert Miles does that for me.
posted by xingcat at 8:13 AM on June 8, 2016

Also, maybe Fuck Buttons, though I find it too energetic to be soothing, but it reminds me a bit of The Field.
posted by Candleman at 8:14 AM on June 8, 2016

Some Four Tet tracks work for me and some don't, but good suggestion.
posted by lieber hair at 8:15 AM on June 8, 2016

this may be a long shot, but do the necks work for you? i'm going more on the repetition than stacked loops (drive by is perhaps the most "soothing" but their other work is all in a similar vein).
posted by andrewcooke at 8:26 AM on June 8, 2016

I have to say, there's nothing quite like The Field. I love his stuff so much. It hits a deep spot that nobody else in electronic music really touches.

Before he came along, there was some other stuff on Kompakt that had a similar vibe, although nothing really touches The Field. You might look into the (precious few) tracks by The Rice Twins, although they may edge into trance a bit too much for you.

Can I Say
Come To Berlin (Remix)
The Signifier
We Should Fall (Rice Twins Dub)

Otherwise for me it's been a matter of finding key tracks by certain artists rather than a whole catalog. Some more stuff I love:

Jan Jelinek - A Concert for Television (Robert Lippok Remix)

LCC - Calx (Robert Lippok Treibholz Remix)
Bill Wells / Stefan Schneider / Annie Whitehead / Barbara Morgenstern - Waft
Arto Lindsay - Mundo Civilizado (DJ Spooky Inversion Mix)
Wechsel Garland - Sn (Hessen Remix)
Aksak Maboul - Scratch Holiday
posted by mykescipark at 8:47 AM on June 8, 2016 [2 favorites]

From What.CD's Related Artists
posted by kuanes at 8:59 AM on June 8, 2016

I really, really enjoy Jon Hopkins' "Light Through the Veins." You might also find Stars of the Lid to be up your alley.
posted by a good beginning at 9:06 AM on June 8, 2016

Black Meteoric Star (aka Gavin Russom)- in particular Dawn and Dreamcatcher. Perhaps has a little more edge than The Field.
posted by gyusan at 9:30 AM on June 8, 2016

Neu!
posted by ElectricGoat at 9:45 AM on June 8, 2016

Beats:
Maurizio - M4.5

Beatless:
GAS - Nah und Fern

Beatweird:
Zoviet France - Monomishe
posted by googly at 11:22 AM on June 8, 2016 [1 favorite]

What do you think of Boards of Canada?
posted by matildaben at 12:12 PM on June 8, 2016 [1 favorite]

The closest I can think of is Pale Sketcher's Seventh Heaven, but the beats there are more aggressive. Most of his stuff isn't very loopsy but I also thought some parts of Gui Borratto's Chromophobia had a lot in common with The Field, e.g.
posted by aubilenon at 12:12 PM on June 8, 2016

Jean-Luc Ponty!
posted by capricorn at 12:18 PM on June 8, 2016

John Talabot maybe?
posted by parallellines at 1:09 PM on June 8, 2016

Basic Channel
posted by urbanwhaleshark at 4:46 PM on June 8, 2016

Detroit Escalator Company (videos toward the bottom of the page)
posted by rhizome at 5:46 PM on June 8, 2016

Seconding John Talabot as well as his label-mate Pional.
posted by kaspen at 9:00 PM on June 8, 2016

Thanks for posting this, I'd never heard The Field and wow I love Looping State of Mind on first listen. I've probably said in similar threads before, I love Tycho for this kind of thing.
posted by clavicle at 10:28 AM on June 11, 2016

« Older Temporary Child Custody: Sweden to the United...   |   Does my malware finder have malware? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.