Recipes for restaurant "house" hot sauce?

This might be a lost cause but two (very) different restaurants in my town have house hot sauces that are very similar styles which makes me think it may be a thing. Thick - about as thick as Frank's - a little milder than Frank's, not too much vinegar, strong garlic presence, GOOD. I know that's not much to go on... is this a known style? Does it come in gallon tubs from Sysco? Recipes? Thank you in advance!
posted by ftm to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Tapatio?
posted by Sassyfras at 3:45 PM on May 28, 2016

This?

http://www.amazon.com/Tuong-Viet-Nam-Chili-Garlic-Sauce/dp/B004NPPEOA
posted by zadcat at 4:06 PM on May 28, 2016

The easiest way to make a "secret house hot sauce" is to blend a commercial hot sauce with one or two other ingredients, or perhaps mix two different hot sauces. This mystery hot sauce might just be Frank's + garlic powder.
posted by ryanrs at 4:13 PM on May 28, 2016

I bet if you call and ask they'll tell you where they get their hot sauce.
posted by bq at 4:13 PM on May 28, 2016 [2 favorites]

Where are you? Hot sauces are sometimes a bit regional in nature.
posted by bitdamaged at 7:47 PM on May 28, 2016 [1 favorite]

I cooked in bars for years, and one place used Frank's for medium and Sysco for mild wing sauce. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but it definitely exists. It came in plain gallon jugs that said something like Sysco Wing Sauce on them. Sorry I can't be more specific, it was like 15 years ago. Did you try just asking them?
posted by Literaryhero at 6:02 AM on May 29, 2016

I have been to restaurants where they have this too, but without seeing the kind you're having it's tough to say. I did a google image search for homemade hot sauce, and this looked pretty good: http://susanna-dan.com/2012/09/hot-sauce/

posted by masquesoporfavor at 11:12 AM on May 30, 2016

Oh also not to be glib

But your basic wing sauce is hot sauce (franks) and butter. I've made variations with whatever is in the fridge (Tapatio, Cholula, Siracha), so its very easy for a couple of wing sauces to taste similar but be different just by using similar but different hot sauces as their base.

Garlic is not a core ingredient but a common add in.
posted by bitdamaged at 3:08 PM on May 30, 2016

« Older Career in IT and Computer Programming with zero...   |   o tote bag my tote bag Newer »