Italian (???) film identification help

I'm sorry in advance for the extremely sketchy details I remember...it might not have even been Italian, my memory is so hazy...

Here is all I remember:
-Latinate language--French? Spanish? Italian?
-1990s or later
-I believe that the title was only one word, or a word and an article ("il" or "la", maybe " l' ") and the noun starts with a "C"
-Cover/poster was greenish yellow, and featured a hazy looking tree.
-That tree was a plot point of some sort.
-Film is in color, but really washed out, with overlay colour demonstrating mood?
-Plot was probably about how the narrator's parents fell in love, with a focus on the father wooing narrator's mother. Set in the 20s-40s ish
-It was a "quirky" dreamlike film, with improbable or impossible scenarios...
-Including something about shadows? And music? Definitely music.

It wasn't a particularly great film--it kinda doesn't go anywhere, and isn't the great romance it thinks it is. But it was pretty!
Halp?
posted by zinful to Media & Arts (9 answers total)

Michael Haneke's "Cache"?
posted by Dressed to Kill at 11:17 AM on May 21, 2016

Oh geez. Should have read the entire post. Not cache. Def not cache.
posted by Dressed to Kill at 11:18 AM on May 21, 2016 [2 favorites]

The Tree is a French-Australian film, but was made in 2010.
posted by Ideefixe at 11:44 AM on May 21, 2016 [1 favorite]

I was thinking The Tree, too, although it's in English.

The other possiblity I can think of, which doesn't totally fit either, is Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice.
posted by ernielundquist at 1:12 PM on May 21, 2016

One of several movie posters with a tree for Tarkovsky's Sacrifice (Offret) from 1986. If that's the one, this famous scene may ring a bell.

(it's been ages since I saw it, but iirc most of the dialog is in Swedish, though, which isn't a latin language.)

It wasn't a particularly great film

So probably not anything by Tarkovsky, then :-)
posted by effbot at 1:35 PM on May 21, 2016 [1 favorite]

Not Italian and not C. Could you have seen Léolo?
posted by zadcat at 2:50 PM on May 21, 2016

This is a longshot but a lot in your description sounds like Tim Burton's ”Big Fish” - (a tree, the poster, the parents love story, colors, quirky and dreamlike) - though it's of course american and in english, but could you maybe have it mixed up with another film? (Trailer)
posted by Petersondub at 11:52 AM on May 22, 2016 [1 favorite]

When did you see the film? Was it a theatrical release or on video? You sure about the 90's release date?
posted by Ashwagandha at 4:53 PM on May 22, 2016

I was so far off, you guys, but Petersondub: you helped for a bizarre reason! I realized that I watched the film THE DAY AFTER I watched Big Fish on Netflix so I went into my instant watch history and there was... Tuvalu.

Everything was wrong except the subplot and the tree on the cover. Yet, Ask saves the day yet again.
posted by zinful at 9:11 PM on July 2, 2016

« Older Legality of 1P-LSD in Romania?   |   Rent vs Buy: Rental Market is Bananas edition Newer »