Identify This Car
May 9, 2016 10:01 AM   Subscribe

This car has been sitting in my neighbor's driveway, untouched, since 1983.

Apparently, it's been in the same condition since 1983, as well. The neighbor doesn't even know what it is as their adult son put the cars (three of them) there and hasn't been back for them since. Someone comes by at least once a year and offers a very, very large amount of money for these cars in this condition. Someone else thinks they might be kit cars. What is this car? And, if a kit, where can I get my own?
posted by TinWhistle to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (8 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

It looks very much like a Camaro kit car, except for the double headlights.
posted by xingcat at 10:07 AM on May 9, 2016

My brain wants to say Opel, although I can't find one that looks quite like that.
posted by Existential Dread at 10:09 AM on May 9, 2016

Maybe a Kellison J6?
posted by cabingirl at 10:10 AM on May 9, 2016 [5 favorites]

It looks like a variant of a Kellison Kit Car to me. Flat glass plus too long tailpipe usually means obscure kit car.

Edit: right, what cabingirl said.
posted by mattamatic at 10:11 AM on May 9, 2016 [3 favorites]

It indeed looks like a Kellison, the folks over at Bringatrailer have some more information on them. The editors over there might be able to give you more information, but its doubtful you're going to find any kits available for purchase, that aren't already built.
posted by furnace.heart at 10:52 AM on May 9, 2016 [1 favorite]

It's styled very much like a '70s Opel, but yeah, I think it's a kit car. Link goes to a random web pic of a real Opel.
posted by randomkeystrike at 11:54 AM on May 9, 2016

They've been taking up your neighbor's since 1983?!? I wouldn't worry about what they are, I'd just tell Son enough's enough and it's time to get them out of there.

But agree with cabingirl: Kellison.
posted by easily confused at 5:03 AM on May 10, 2016

Misteroon suggests it could be a Devin.
posted by lakeroon at 9:12 PM on May 11, 2016

« Older Rock my crock pot   |   Looking to switch home/auto insurance carriers. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.