How does obesity "wreak havoc on the vagina"?

While taking a break from work to peruse Buzzfeed, I came across this quote from a gynaecologist: “Childbirth, gravity, menopause, smoking, and obesity can all wreak havoc on the vagina and over time can weaken the muscles of the pelvic floor.” I notice these kinds of statements all the time—talking about anything vaguely related to health? Make sure to mention the OBESITY CRISIS—and I can't figure out how being fat would wreak havoc on a vagina.

I am not asking for health advice or instructions on kegels. I'm just curious if this doctor has any scientific facts to back up her statement or if she's operating on the assumption that fat women can't/don't do kegels or take care of their bodies?
posted by the thorn bushes have roses to Health & Fitness (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

"Women who are overweight or obese also have a greater risk for pelvic floor disorders."

Third link from Google for "obesity pelvic problems."
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 3:17 PM on April 28, 2016 [3 favorites]

You might want to read Effect of weight change on natural history of pelvic organ prolapse.. Conclusion: "Being overweight or obese is associated with progression of POP (pelvic organ prolapse). Weight loss does not appear to be significantly associated with regression of pelvic organ prolapse, suggesting that damage to the pelvic floor related to weight gain might be irreversible."
posted by jessamyn at 3:17 PM on April 28, 2016 [1 favorite]

All of the above. Obesity is also associated with an increased risk of pelvic floor damage during childbirth, as in this study (and many others).
posted by telegraph at 3:20 PM on April 28, 2016 [1 favorite]

That was quick, thanks all! I'm a fat lady, so I NEVER google anything with the word "obesity" in it—that way lies madness—and appreciate that you all linked to studies.
posted by the thorn bushes have roses at 3:26 PM on April 28, 2016 [13 favorites]

« Older Too much Star Wars? I find your lack of faith...   |   Which POS software was this? Newer »